Nitrate problems

mzhantsche

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
A, A
I can never get a hold on my nitrates. Other than more water changes ( i do 50% once a week) what can i do?

180gal..one fx5...one fulvul 404.....sand....16" aro, two 11" bichirs, 6" motoro.....i feed live(cricket and mealworms) and masivor pelets.

Nitrates are ushaly between 40ppm and 160ppm

I am building a sump that will go in on friday.

Ill spend any amount of money.

Fire away with suggestions please.

flowingmotion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 2, 2011
MA
Whats your nitrate reading from the tap? If you have nitrates in your tap water it wont help to do a drip system. Another thing to try is pothos. Once fully established it can have a big impact.

mzhantsche

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2010
A, A
Whats your nitrate reading from the tap? If you have nitrates in your tap water it wont help to do a drip system. Another thing to try is pothos. Once fully established it can have a big impact.
Sorry im getting to this so late. What is pothos? I will try anything.

davdev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2010
Somewhere in New England
Adding more filtration won't help, nitrate is a by product of the filtration. Really besides water changes, your only option is to heavily plant. Pothos is a type of planting method.

You could also either cut back on stock, or on feeding. While only 4 fish, they are messy (Aro and Ray), so your food could be the problem

BigFishMommy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
pothos are terrestrial plants that you can 'plant' in the back of a hob filter (the roots will be very happy with the nitrate rich water passing by them), or plant in your sump. just ensure that nothing but the roots/stem ends are underwater, or else the plant will rot away. the pothos plants will suck up the nitrate and other excess nutrients in the water, and will grow like crazy. be prepared for pothos to take over a wall! lol. (they like to grow up, as a vine, so use string and tacks/nails or a trellis against the wall).

when you do your water changes, do you do a good stir of the sand? a water change without removing the mulm in the substrate isn't going to do much to lower your nitrates, because that mulm is still there, breaking down and creating more nitrate. normally sand will keep all the poop and mulm on top, but i think with a ray in the tank, it would be moving sand around a fair bit, and mulm would go under the sand surface.

perhaps increase your water change schedule to twice weekly at 50%. with those big fish in a tank that isn't all that big, more frequent water changes will be a good thing!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Your stock sounds pretty light for your nitrates to be that high. What's the nitrates of your tap water? And are you sure the test kit is good? Most test kits are garbage, especially when it comes to nitrate tests.

Pangong_ilong

I want one too !
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
Fresh Meadow, NY
Something else is causing the nitrate spike. How often do you clean your filters? Test your tap water for nitrates. Scoop out uneaten foods. When i was doing rays, i change my water every 2 days on a 225g tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store