Nitrates are good lmao

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I admit, I am guilty as charged. I clicked on it, and immediately recognized the old spud from another of his vids that I had the misfortune to stumble upon myself some time ago...so he actually got two clicks out of me!

Dang...I feel so dirty now...

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
This is true.
I've been keeping cichlids since @ 1958..
View attachment 1512400
Awesome, living the outdoor dream. Good for you, I hope you enjoy & appreciate life. My pic would look more like a scientist nerd, just what life steered me toward I guess, though don't get me wrong I certainly appreciate my blessed life.

that picture is you showing off, plain and simple. I mean, jeez...just because you still have most of your hair...do you need to rub it in to those of us who are more follically-challenged? :)
No doubt lol

This is the conclusion that, hopefully, we all arrive at.

...But newcomers to the hobby are going to start believing his preachings to be gospel.
This is a valid concern. But I would hope that anyone with even a little experience in the hobby (and common sense) would see a bright red flag when presented with his ideas.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I was out collecting last week in rivers and streams in Panama.
I took nitrate reading in 2 of the rivers.
IMG_5989.jpeg
IMG_6023.jpeg
Above is the Rio Pacora, the the vial to the right is the nitrate concentration, almost 0, left pH, middle tube ammonia.
Below the Rio Canitas
PHOTO-2023-02-20-14-45-22.jpeg
And the test strip from its water. Also nitrate nearly 0.
IMG_6083.jpeg

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Are you collecting fish, or just test strips? :)

You've infected me with the Test Bug. For the past year or so I have tested every natural body of water I have visited for fishing, collecting, etc. and it is pretty interesting; my fishing buddies just think I have continued my slow...or no-so-slow...slide into dementia, but they're all pretty weird as well, so...

I spent the whole day on the ice yesterday, and tested water in the hole mid-day. Results as expected, very similar to my well-water at home, hard slightly-alkaline water (zero ammonia/nitrite/nitrate which bodes well for my current collecting experiments. I looked up from peering at the vials...no strips for me!...to find my fishing partner staring at me with an expression that I can only describe as "horrified bemusement". :)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I do collect test strips, or at least photos of them from the waters I test these days, because I believe the normally accepted idea of elevated nitrates as OK, n tanks being OK, is BS.
And I will post those natural nitrate water levels whenever possible.
I have yet to find a non-polluted natural water source, where healthy cichlids (or any other healthy fish) are found with any nitrate level near as high as even 5ppm.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I do collect test strips, or at least photos of them from the waters I test these days, because I believe the normally accepted idea of elevated nitrates as OK, n tanks being OK, is BS.
And I will post those natural nitrate water levels whenever possible.
I have yet to find a non-polluted natural water source, where healthy cichlids (or any other healthy fish) are found with any nitrate level near as high as even 5ppm.
I like the idea of strips; not a lot of choice when it comes to pool supply stores up here, but when I find some I know I will never be without them when out and about on the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store