No more Datnoids

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
yes hit me up when you're ready. my boy chan here in denver hook it up // true datnoid & ray keeper + amazing quality. i always wanted to get dats but never really had room for a real predator style community.
Yea Just checked out some small Azuls and they have more body stripes and less dots down the length of the body. Temeniss has no eye on the tail if you know what I mean and only two stripes, and darker in color. I'll hit u up when I get my tank reset after the move..peace

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Yea Just checked out some small Azuls and they have more body stripes and less dots down the length of the body. Temeniss has no eye on the tail if you know what I mean and only two stripes, and darker in color. I'll hit u up when I get my tank reset after the move..peace
And tems grow almost twice as big as other chichlas. 40" how big is your tank?

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Well... Moved to Oregon from California.. been here a year, new 135g up and running. And ones my choice of fish Indo Datnoids.. I got 7 ranging 3 to 4.5 in.. I thought about Uaru’s but I just like the challenge of trying to get dats to do what I want them to do.. if you remember I traded 5 Sumatra’s for 4 Peacock Bass a few years ago.. couple things I found out about dats.. they don’t need daily feeding..and when they hungry they come out.. lights on or off.. and the stable thing..here we go again.. it’s not an issue when they get 7 inches their use to any and all movements so there’s no fear or shyness.. pellets, if that’s all you feed them, that’s all they’ll eat. Just that simple.. Who’s the Boss. I found a dial switch dimmer on EBay and keep lighting around 4 out of 10. Tank looks bare when they not hungry but it looks good. Guess that’s my 2 cents on. One more thing .. I think a lot of us are attached to the pictures we see of Datnoids.. to get to stage you have to put in some serious time with them, but in the end it’s all worth the effort..can’t wait till these guys get 7/8 inches.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Pics! You moved to Florence?

bqnqnqboat

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
I have 4 dats, 2 x 5in, 1 x 4in, 1 x 3.5in. The larger 5 in one is getting too dominant and keep pushing other ones into hiding up top behind tank drains etc., do you have any advice?

I don't think the other ones are shy, they try to come out from time to time but that bully dat will chase them back into hiding.

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
I have 4 dats, 2 x 5in, 1 x 4in, 1 x 3.5in. The larger 5 in one is getting too dominant and keep pushing other ones into hiding up top behind tank drains etc., do you have any advice?

I don't think the other ones are shy, they try to come out from time to time but that bully dat will chase them back into hiding.
Mine do that too.. tried separating the big boss but next biggest started bullying.. I guess that’s why there’s a size difference., mine were the same size when purchased, 3 grew fast, 2 are trying to keep up and 2 are still small. I just let them do their own thing. Maybe I’ll sell the smaller ones. The bully is always dark tho he has good color when I show him he’s not the big boss.

Reactions: bqnqnqboat

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Another reason the biggest is always chasing the others is food.. he wants to get all rights to anything on the bottom that wasn’t eaten. Mine beards the other 2 big ones to the top of the tank but ignore the small ones.

Reactions: bqnqnqboat

bqnqnqboat

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2018
Would adding 2 decent sized blood parrot (larger than the bully dat) help distract him from the other dats? IIRC, the parrots can get quite annoying if they tag certain fish.

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
Would adding 2 decent sized blood parrot (larger than the bully dat) help distract him from the other dats? IIRC, the parrots can get quite annoying if they tag certain fish.
From what I’ve experienced.. adding tankmates will increase activity but won’t stop the “bullying “.. the larger Dat will chase all other Dats away at feeding time while tankmates eat..but will not bully tank mates. He got that big by eating the most, he’s always first to hide when lights come on or water changes. I put a divider in my tank separating him from the others and the next biggest starting bullying. It’s a Datnoid characteristic. Seems the talk of one Datnoid in a tank is spot on. It will become stable which makes his color bright, he won’t bully and he’ll be active instead of hiding.. keep in mind our dats are juveniles so a lot will change as they mature. I put a few pellets in at a time.. I notice that any of the 3 that eat them will fight the bully to get them. Then they stop fighting and take turns eating as I drop them in.. after I stop feeding then the bully starts his routine to search for uneaten pellets. I had 3 Hong Kong Parrots in with 5 dats and they did swim around more but the bully thing didn’t stop. Give em time to mellow out✌?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store