No more Datnoids

eeJamBOYan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
South East Asia
Never had success keeping dats in a group peacefully. There will always be the usual bullying and chasing even at 2in sizes. That is just what they are programmed to do.. And i will just let them be. Some will tolerate while most don't.

This is especially true with regards to tank size. You are better off keeping just one specimen. But then again, this will not last as there will always be this urge to get more!

A few ways around it is to provide more hardscapes in the form of twigs or mangrove like roots and of course the logic of adding in tankmates that would hold their own.
Then again, all these will come back to the issue of having an appropriate tank size to accomodate that.

Personally I have no tank with just a single Dat, with the exception of one that has been with me for about 4 years from 2inch. He has earn his rights to have a tank of his own.

Durio

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2018
So I mentioned putting a divider in my 135g .. bought a baby Jardini arrowana and put him on the small side for his safety.. put one of my 3in dats in with him.. the dat swam around, ate, beautiful color all with lights on or off.. then I put him back in with the other 6 dats he turned dark, hid when lights came on.. you see where I’m going with this. My tank looks empty when lights are on.. worm feeder full.. as soon as turn off my dimmed lights they come out, chase each other, eat.. why do we buy 4, 5 or 7 dats? I’m thinking 2 in my 135g. eeJamBOYan your post is spot on, I think we are figuring out this dat stable mystery. So.. I got dats that need rehousing..I’m on the South Coast of Oregon if interested and no I don’t ship.. unless you make it possible peace✌?

Reactions: dr exum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store