Noob needs help starting 55g, please

wannaarro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
Hey, folks. I am getting ready to start up a 55g for the first time, and want to have a cichlid-based community if it's not too small a parameter. I AM open to other suggestions!! I know they can grow pretty large, but aren't there some which don't get too monstrous? (I'm not one of those people who say they'll let the fish grow then get a bigger tank!!) I've been reading alot on the site about cichlids, etc. and the tanks other members have--veeeery impressive. But I just want to have a good solid start with an interesting, colorful, not-too-aggressive community (as a teacher I have enough battles at school, and I can't afford 100g+ tanks right now; not to mention they'd go right through my floor lol). I'm having success with my 10g fishy cycled with 4 live plants and a tetra school, and am ready to start movin' on up. Thank you so much!!

Renee

:thumbsup:

Stang1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2006
DC metro area
Welcome to the site...I would say look into a severum they are very docile and attractive fish and maybe a couple of Discus

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Angle fish are always nice you could put them you 55 and do a planted tank.

JD_MAN

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
Indy Anna
Like Ash said angels would be good. I have a 55 setup with some angels, rams, and some misc. tetras that have found their way into the tank. I also have some clown loaches in with them that I love and have been wanting to get more.

wannaarro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
Thanks, stang, ash and jd. These suggestions are good food for thought. I really want to create an interesting enviroment for a community. And planning is important!! I really appreciate the help.

wannaarro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
Thanks, stang, ash and jd. These suggestions are good food for thought. I really want to create an interesting enviroment for a community. And planning is important!! I really appreciate the help. This is a really helpful place! :clap

riggs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2005
Southern NH
www.big-griggs.com
you could also think about African Cichlids from Lake Malawi. About 12 should live quite happily in a 55 for life as most stay around 6" or so. I keep Malawi Mbuna myself in a 55 and they're very colorful and active. Alot of the Mbuna can be aggressive but once you find the right mix of fish to keep together you'll have a great looking, active tank.

gman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2005
new jersey
www.facebook.com
If you like color them go with african cichlids. If you do go with them then get crushed coral or sand for the substrate and plenty of rocks and/or shells. Africans are very active and like to dig so its fun to watch them.

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
Blue Rams. Not very aggressive, small, and awesome colors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store