North Carolina Snakeheads

Catlas Se7en

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2018
So after doing as much research on if they are legal in North Carolina, the only banned fish I can find are Black Carp. Who can I call to find out if I can own a snakehead in NC? Anyone have experience getting on into NC?

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Yep, as sad as it is, channa are banned in every state of the US.
They are invasive because they readilly breed and are an apex predator, whatever the size of the species.

The weather in NC is ideal for most if not all sub-tropical species, and you can add channa argus to the list.

Channa argus is a 30in long apex predator that can rip anything in two just for sports. You don't want that released in your waters, which is why they got banned in the first place.

Reactions: tlindsey

NikosKoul

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2018
Cyprus
They are extremly agressive , imagine a big argus can do serious damage to your hand.
I think in US especially argus are banned because some people release them into the rivers and they damaged all the populations of fish

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
If you catch one and don't kill it like you are suppose to , who knows where it could live out its life.

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
If you catch one and don't kill it like you are suppose to , who knows where it could live out its life.
Probably with you, in prison.

Reactions: NikosKoul

Madou

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2013
Belgique
Care to elaborate on this?
I missunderstood, I thought you were implying nobody would know if you decided to keep it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store