Not good

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
I'm really not sure who did this to him. He seems to be acting normal suprisingly. I guess time will tell if he lives or not. I'm going to try to see if he is still eating in a little bit. 20190603_103448.jpg20190603_103404.jpg

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If ur able to separate and add some salt/cleanH2O then it might make it.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
There's hope. Check out this thread were J jaws7777 jaguar catfish got mauled by a redfin wolffish. On page 2 you can see the healing process.

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
There's hope. Check out this thread were J jaws7777 jaguar catfish got mauled by a redfin wolffish. On page 2 you can see the healing process.

I just fed him tilapia filet and he ate a whole bunch.. this fish is a warrior. Very tough fish

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york

Wow.. that guy has a lot of problems but now I'm wondering if the poly did it. He is like 16-18 inches and missing an eye. And they had been laying together

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Sounds like a good bet. How big is the sperata? Hard to tell from the photo.
a one eyed pretty big polypterus will be going on "taste" as much as anything and unfortunately the sperata just got tastier. You really need to look to separate at least till he heals if at all possible imo.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
The wound appears even superficially similar to what had been seen on Jaw's jaguar catfish and one strong guess was a polypterus in that case too.

If there is no other stress and the system is not overrun with lots of bacteria (clean substrate and filter, no uneaten feed deposits, etc.; good aeration), I think the Sperata will be fine.

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
Sounds like a good bet. How big is the sperata? Hard to tell from the photo.
a one eyed pretty big polypterus will be going on "taste" as much as anything and unfortunately the sperata just got tastier. You really need to look to separate at least till he heals if at all possible imo.
He is 7-8 inches but not filled out yet

I'm just reluctant to think it was the poly because I've seen him have trouble biting a piece of tilapia filet never mind cause damage like that... it's either the 16 inch FATF.. the massive RTGG or the poly.. but this isnt the first mystery in this tank.

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
Honestly just separate him from the other fish, keep the water clean and he'll likely make it, salt baths/dips or adding salt to the tank may help as well. I would also try feeding food soaked in magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) to keep the digestive system moving. I've seen fish survive much MUCH worse injuries, I saw an oscar (6 inches) that was nearly eaten by a red devil (14+ inches) , missing huge chunks of fins and flesh and even an eye, completely motionless, he made a full recovery and was acting well when I sold him at the pet store and as far as I know, he lived a long, happy life (though he obviously had no eye and his fins grew back looking ugly). I saw a tire track eel someone put in with their dovii, the dovii treat the eel like it was a worm, really bad wounds all over a 6 inch section of the eel and, the eel lived. I had someone bring in a blood parrot that their salvini cichlid attacked, one of it's gill plates were nearly completely torn off, chunks of flesh missing, the blood parrot lived (somehow) and I kept in a 55 in our store, he lived for 6 more years. Fish are far more resilient than many people would think. In these cases I just made sure they had clean water and kept them away from bright lights and other stressors.

Last edited:

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
6rr
Honestly just separate him from the other fish, keep the water clean and he'll likely make it, salt baths/dips or adding salt to the tank may help as well. I would also try feeding food soaked in magnesium sulfate (epsom salt) to keep the digestive system moving. I've seen fish survive much MUCH worse injuries, I saw an oscar (6 inches) that was nearly eaten by a red devil (14+ inches) , missing huge chunks of fins and flesh and even an eye, completely motionless, he made a full recovery and was acting well when I sold him at the pet store and as far as I know, he lived a long, happy life (though he obviously had no eye and his fins grew back looking ugly). I saw a tire track eel someone put in with their dovii, the dovii treat the eel like it was a worm, really bad wounds all over a 6 inch section of the eel and, the eel lived. I had someone bring in a blood parrot that their salvini cichlid attacked, one of it's gill plates were nearly completely torn off, chunks of flesh missing, the blood parrot lived (somehow) and I kept in a 55 in our store, he lived for 6 more years. Fish are far more resilient than many people would think. In these cases I just made sure they had clean water and kept them away from bright lights and other stressors.
The fish seems to be doing fine.. not acting any different

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store