Number of Chambers in Sump

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
I'm currently building a large sump for a new setup and I was wondering: Do the number of chambers make a difference in terms of filtration effectiveness/efficiency if I'm using the same media throughout?

FishBeast

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Northwest Washington
www.youtube.com
Chambers are useful for separating different types of media, for example forcing the water through a mechanical stage first before going into a K1 chamber. You can have as many or as few as you want. They can also help you have an area where you can easily access your pump and heater for servicing/adjustment without digging through or disrupting your media area.

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
Thanks, sounds like the main benefit of having more chambers is ease of accessing/sorting different types of media. Are there any other pros/cons to having more chambers?

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Some people run very very basic sumps with no baffles at all and they"ll do a great job. Water into a filter sock at one end, big pile of lava rock in the middle and the pump at the other end, job done.

But baffles look better imo, they keep everything compartmentalised. I just go with the basic three section set up, mechanical, bio and pump. You can custom make them in all sorts of ways, it's purely down to individual taste.

I think the effectiveness of different types of sumps isn't solely down to the sump design. A good turnover is important to get the water really flowing through there and using decent media for the BB to grow on is also important. The actual design of the sump comes second to these in my view.

narayanang76

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2016
Bangalore, India
Depends on what type of mechanical filtration is planned, if filter socks is considered, what other media is going in. Any skimmers, refeugium, K1, plants etc going in the sump. Also if chemical filtration is needed, after bio filtration.

For a simple design, use socks at one end for mechanical filtration, pump on other end, all various media in the middle. There is no need for baffles for such design.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are no hard and fast rules for "chambers" or anything else in sumps, except the law of gravity.
I don't use any chambers in sumps, as I find them creatively restrictive, and sometimes make maintenance non-user friendly, trying to cram arms between barriers, or in smallish spaces.
I use filter socks for mechanical (easy to remove and rinse out, place bio-media in mesh bags (also easy to remove and shake gunk off of, which leaves plenty of space for other things such as protein simmers (yes in fresh water) or separate fluidized beds.
The only time a find any chambering necessary is when trying to separate out a refugium type plant bed so substrate doesn't spill out or wander, and in that case usually just locate a shallow planted tank in the chain or tanks.
U usually use 1 sump for 3-4 tanks (refuguims extra)

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
If you don't have at least 10 distinct compartments in your sump ALL OF YOUR FISH WILL DIE!!!! lol.

Like the others I prefer simpler over complex when it comes to designing my sumps. Two things you might consider are maintainability and will your equipment fit.

The easier it is to get stuff into and out of your sump the easier it will be to maintain which will pay off very big down the road.

I have seen complex sumps designed that make accessing the pump very difficult and that have had so many baffles there was no room to put a heater in the sump (Not that I would ever design such a beast).

Compartments, baffles and the flow of water through the sump is cool... just make sure you don't over do it!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
Awesome, thanks everyone for the feedback! I was overthinking it, now I'll keep it simple and just make 3 chambers (mech, bio, pump/heater)

Jhay3513

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I used a 40b for the sump under my 75 gallon. I like the 40b simply because it can hold a ton of stuff like media etc. when i designed it (been running for about a year and a half) I wanted to use the 2nd chamber to keep a pump in for simultaneous water changes. I stick my hose from the sink in chamber 4 and turn it on, turn the pump on and let it run for about 10-12 minutes and by my loose calculations it equals out to about a 80% water change. The ease of cleaning your filter media makes the sump super convenient. On the “out” pump I fill a bucket of water that i use to shake the filter media out in and just toss it back in. No canisters to drag around and get the bathroom all messy.

58CB8E92-6A38-4AA0-9DF8-DB87EBBF0358.jpeg 5D4E4E67-5284-41C0-8C16-C2B91F4D2FA7.jpeg B02E06CA-D882-4081-A1AA-23AB7B1B4E5C.jpeg 8B673153-7506-47B1-9C02-8DC5DD13E257.jpeg 1F324D92-E961-4B29-9E03-C8C4B6DE1B9E.jpeg 41299BBC-CA19-4902-9939-F4CF310396BC.jpeg 99F77C3F-E00F-453E-9E94-F06AFA35758A.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store