Oak Stand for my 75g

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
The stand turned out absolutely gorgeous!

johncl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2008
USA
Lookin' good and it's so neat and organized I'm impressed. Can't wait to see the canopy.

IrnGynt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Virginia
Wanted to add an organized way of holding my testing tubes. I drilled some small holes (can't remember the bit size -> but small enough that you have to force the hanger wire in) in a stained block of wood and cut and bent some coat hangers:

D12DetroitD12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Monroe, Michigan/Toledo, Ohio
bob965;3604637; said:
You're not really taking advantage of the compressive strength of your vertical supports, as most of the load on your top framing is supported by sideways force on a few self tapping pocket hole screws. That thing is gonna weigh 800 pounds when it's full. That's not really the way most people would have done it.
How do you figure 800 pounds? Water is 8 pounds a gallon, I am bad at math but i just don't see that coming out to 800 pounds....even with sand/gravel....:confused:

IrnGynt

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
Virginia
Thanks for the complements!

birmansandbettas;3718373; said:
That tube holder idea is freaking GENIUS and I am totally stealing it!
Cool! One piece of advice though, cover the coat hanger with airline tubing so the top of it doesn't touch the bottom of the tubes. The bare metal left rust spots on my test tubes. To prevent this in the future, I used plastic tubing used for R/O units (fridge hose works too -> same stuff) but airline tubing should work as well. A drinking straw would probably work fine too. Pic:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store