Oddball Books

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Many of the books have excellent photos.
The Aqualogs are great for helping to ID species
Although many have out dated scientific names, I don't see this as problematic, because the species name hardly ever changes,( just the genus), as DNA sequencing advances. So if one follows the current lit, not a problem.
Some hardly have any photos at all, like "The Cichlid Fishes, Natures Grand Experiment in Evolution" by George Barlow, which I find to be one of "the" most informative.
These books are written by experts in their field, and I find them invaluable, compared to internet info, that at times is an opinion provided by someone who has kept a fish for a year or less and thinks they are thus qualified to respond. But a few months or a year or two, is not real experience IMO
Most cichlids and other large fish species have a life span of 10 years, and take 3 or more years to mature, so unless the keeper has kept a certain species at least 3-5 years, I consider their experience with that species is often highly questionable.

Last edited:
Reactions: CichlidKeeper01

CichlidKeeper01

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2017
Many of the books have excellent photos.
The Aqualogs are great for helping to ID species
Although many have out dated scientific names, I don't see this as problematic, because the species name hardly ever changes,( just the genus), as DNA sequencing advances. So if one follows the current lit, not a problem.
Some hardly have any photos at all, like "The Cichlid Fishes, Natures Grand Experiment in Evolution" by George Barlow, which I find to be one of "the" most informative.
These books are written by experts in their field, and I find them invaluable, compared to internet info, that at times is an opinion provided by someone who has kept a fish for a year or less and thinks they are thus qualified to respond. But a few months or a year or two, is not real experience IMO
Most cichlids and other large fish species have a life span of 10 years, and take 3 or more years to mature, so unless the keeper has kept a certain species at least 3-5 years, I consider their experience with that species is often highly questionable.
Thanks, I am going to try to pick them up. They sound like what I was looking for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store