Odoe pike with wolf fish? Help

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
So I currently have a wolf fish in a 75 gal. It was sold as a black but it may be a mala 4.5 inches. In that tank there is a catfish,megalodoras irwini, a Jack Dempsey 4.5", and 4 silver dollars. In a 55 gal by itself I have an odoe pike that is close to 4" but is obviously much thinner than the wolf and Jack. My plan was to grow the pike to a size where I could put him in with the wolf. I would then let those two grow until they would need to move to a 125g or 180g. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about this plan. The only fish that I truly care about are the pike and wolf. (I care about the others but would just move them to another tank if needed, not going to hurt them in any way). I am just wanting my pike and wolf to be in the same tank. Thanks, I'll take any feedback, good or bad.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Aronus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio
So I currently have a wolf fish in a 75 gal. It was sold as a black but it may be a mala 4.5 inches. In that tank there is a catfish,megalodoras irwini, a Jack Dempsey 4.5", and 4 silver dollars. In a 55 gal by itself I have an odoe pike that is close to 4" but is obviously much thinner than the wolf and Jack. My plan was to grow the pike to a size where I could put him in with the wolf. I would then let those two grow until they would need to move to a 125g or 180g. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas about this plan. The only fish that I truly care about are the pike and wolf. (I care about the others but would just move them to another tank if needed, not going to hurt them in any way). I am just wanting my pike and wolf to be in the same tank. Thanks, I'll take any feedback, good or bad.

View attachment 1156373

View attachment 1156374
I have a ode and two wolves together in a 200 g tank... My ode had destroyed my purple wolf. My ode is about 10-12 inches long and wolves are 7-8 inches. My ode won't let anything in the tank. Just my experience.

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
I had a mala with an odoe both about 6" was great for a week or 2 then one night they must have started fighting and both ended up on the floor. Luckily the wolf pulled the the odoe did not.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Fatten the odoe up over the next month then add him

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Fatten the odoe up over the next month then add him
Do you think he will grow a noticeable amount in a month? So I have heard to keep live feeders in the tank at all times. When I was feeding the feeders I noticed the pike ate a couple cichlid pellets. I'd like for him to keep on that path but that was only once and he has ignored them completely since

Reactions: Youngddh

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Don't keep feeders in there constantly. If you're gonna feed feeders make sure you QT them and fatten them up, I had a tank where I'd buy 100 and I'd keep them for a week and feed them and they'd get fat etc, and I'd feed them right before I feed my odoe and I think that's how I got such a fast growth out of him honestly. Once he was bigger like 8 inches I stopped this and started him on freeze dried krill he took to it within like 3 days of starving him but he became much less food aggressive so to speak. So if you want the best growth out of him, ime the best thing is get a 10 gallon get the filter and top and just QT and feed the feeders and drop one in at a time till he doesn't take any more and he should grow fast and likely pass your wolf. And once he's bigger starve him until he takes them, if he goes a month without eating then give in and throw some feeders in there. But I had no trouble converting mine over.

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Don't keep feeders in there constantly. If you're gonna feed feeders make sure you QT them and fatten them up, I had a tank where I'd buy 100 and I'd keep them for a week and feed them and they'd get fat etc, and I'd feed them right before I feed my odoe and I think that's how I got such a fast growth out of him honestly. Once he was bigger like 8 inches I stopped this and started him on freeze dried krill he took to it within like 3 days of starving him but he became much less food aggressive so to speak. So if you want the best growth out of him, ime the best thing is get a 10 gallon get the filter and top and just QT and feed the feeders and drop one in at a time till he doesn't take any more and he should grow fast and likely pass your wolf. And once he's bigger starve him until he takes them, if he goes a month without eating then give in and throw some feeders in there. But I had no trouble converting mine over.
That sounds like more fun anyway. I have an empty 10. Did you put 100 in a ten? I also have a 29 maybe I could load that. I also had homegrown guppies but there are about 5 left and I already put them in with odoe.

Brock11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2015
Is it the same process with the wolf too? Should I try and get him of feeders before adding the pike or should I try and train them at the same time?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
That sounds like more fun anyway. I have an empty 10. Did you put 100 in a ten? I also have a 29 maybe I could load that. I also had homegrown guppies but there are about 5 left and I already put them in with odoe.
Sometimes 100, sometimes less, they'd only last about a week after I fattened them up cause he'd eat about 10 a day. You can do the 29 if you want I was just suggesting something that'd be quick to work out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store