Odoe Pikes making foam ...

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Great achievement and great thread to read. Are you going to let the pair spawn again? I am sure you could write a great article about it .

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
In nature- big fish eats little fish but little fish have more than 6ft of water to get away. lol
Hindsight is 20/20, and I do not worry about these things. I went into it for the experience more than quantitative yield.
You know, I saw a big fish that didn't eat a little fish but instead picked up little fish with his snout and put them back into their nest. That was pretty cool to watch.

As for trying again: I think not. It's a "been there, done that" kind of thing. Anyone interested in the pair to try again and raise more fry shoot me a PM. I don't want to have to worry about finding homes, and I want my large tank back for adult monsters again. There's always another species of fish to breed. :D

All fry are eating like pigs. The ones in the 10 gal have cleared out all Endler fry and still go crazy for nauplii, and at least two in the 220 gal use the strainer cone with blackworms as buffet.

Stay tuned.

ultimatejay

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
USA
Hindsight is 20/20, and I do not worry about these things. I went into it for the experience more than quantitative yield.
You know, I saw a big fish that didn't eat a little fish but instead picked up little fish with his snout and put them back into their nest. That was pretty cool to watch.

As for trying again: I think not. It's a "been there, done that" kind of thing. Anyone interested in the pair to try again and raise more fry shoot me a PM. I don't want to have to worry about finding homes, and I want my large tank back for adult monsters again. There's always another species of fish to breed. :D

All fry are eating like pigs. The ones in the 10 gal have cleared out all Endler fry and still go crazy for nauplii, and at least two in the 220 gal use the strainer cone with blackworms as buffet.

Stay tuned.
That's cool, understood. Why don't you just keep them with other fish and like you say let nature takes it course. But then again you might be able to sell a proven pair for a nice chunk of change

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
You know, I really think we're both on the same page, and it's always good to chat about things from a different angle. :cheers:

As for the adult pair: Yes, I will absolutely happily transfer them back into the monster community tank. I doubt they'll spawn in a community tank, because they didn't fully start court-shipping until there were no other pikes in the tank (I had a second pair and sold them). Then they were getting romantic, but my dat kept bugging them. They only completed nest construction once they had the tank to themselves.

I mentioned the possibility to part with the pair in case a fellow wants to use it to breed. This could mean a more sustainable source for Odoe in our hobby, and increased popularity of this fish because of better availability. Sound like the right reasons to part with fish, even though I just as happily keep them because I enjoy seeing this particular pair in my tank.

TGIF!

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
That is a fantastic achievement! Congrats
Too bad the bigger siblings ate the rest.

As regards selling them, IF you could ship to Portugal... you´d be able to sell them all (well...at least a good number). I have been looking for one for ages and can´t find odoes. Not even in the (wholesaler) lists that sell to my regular LFS´s .

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Get me a plane ticket to Portugal, a week's stay at your beach house, and I'll bring the little guys with me in my carry on :D

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
dinner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com