of pimelodus and their lives denied.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
so i tried to introduce a shoal of pictus cats to my cichlid tank with two oscars about five inches, a severum about 5 inches, and an EBA about 4. a fellow mfk forumite had convinced me their speed and adequate hiding places would keep them safe. but alas, after removing another bunch of spiny fins from my filter intake this morning, only the two largest of seven pictus remain...and I fear my big o has developed a taste for pimelodus.

this leads me to the belief that I will need a larger, more resilient pimelodus for my south american tank.

What of the ornate pimelodus? any good experiences with them? what's a definite max size on these guys? any good breeders or distributors that sell these fish online? I saw they are sometimes available on bluegrass aquatics, but for at least 35 each.

I'd considered a lima shovelnose but am not crazy about one or two huge cats in my 240. I'd much rather have a shoal of nice active bottom feeders that can still hang with my cichlids.

Last edited:

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
f you can't outrun the cichlids, outgun them. Pylodictis olivaris is what you need ;)

Reactions: Chicxulub

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
lol methinks that would just kickstart a new array of problems.
What could someone want more than full blown sea monster in his living room? I don't see the issue. You'll upgrade to a 1500, and you can comm flatheads with bass, channelcats, gars, pike, some carps and minnows.... Bullheads would be less likely to be eaten, but don't like the heat. A plecostomus, a big synodontus, a small bagrid... if you want a wuss catfish.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I'm not sure who informed you pictus with an oscar us fine but now you've learned the hard way. You want cats that will get around a foot. Such as ornate pims, blochii, sun cat, asian USD cat, bolt cat etc. far as growth rate on ornates, in not sure. Try the search bar

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I'm not sure who informed you pictus with an oscar us fine but now you've learned the hard way. You want cats that will get around a foot. Such as ornate pims, blochii, sun cat, asian USD cat, bolt cat etc. far as growth rate on ornates, in not sure. Try the search bar
Do you have any experience with these types of cats and cichlids? that's what I wanted to hear when I started this thread. if you just used your "search bar" to find cats that get around a foot and listed them to me it does no good to me really. after all, this is a forum and im asking about peoples experiences with specific interactions between ornate pims and larger cichlids, if that wasn't clear.

Reactions: J. H.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Do you have any experience with these types of cats and cichlids? that's what I wanted to hear when I started this thread. if you just used your "search bar" to find cats that get around a foot and listed them to me it does no good to me really. after all, this is a forum and im asking about peoples experiences with specific interactions between ornate pims and larger cichlids, if that wasn't clear.
Only fish I've not kept but have done extensive reading on are the ornates and bolt cats. Should've posted in the catfish section to catch more actual keepers eyes. Such as thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter DB junkie DB junkie . Between the oscars and cats I've named and kept I never noticed much interaction. If I tell you use the search bar it should be a little evident I didn't just do the same. And mfk doesn't have a search bar set up to find cats that get a foot. For that you can go to pcf. If ornates are what you want specifically you weren't clear on that so before I go further you can clarify what you are looking to find out exactly. If I can't help maybe I can tag others that can. Oh and the "search bar" helps you find people's actual experiences with these fish before you try to knock it as if it's useless again.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Only fish I've not kept but have done extensive reading on are the ornates and bolt cats. Should've posted in the catfish section to catch more actual keepers eyes. Such as thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter DB junkie DB junkie . Between the oscars and cats I've named and kept I never noticed much interaction. If I tell you use the search bar it should be a little evident I didn't just do the same. And mfk doesn't have a search bar set up to find cats that get a foot. For that you can go to pcf. If ornates are what you want specifically you weren't clear on that so before I go further you can clarify what you are looking to find out exactly. If I can't help maybe I can tag others that can. Oh and the "search bar" helps you find people's actual experiences with these fish before you try to knock it as if it's useless again.
search bar mania over here. thanks for the keen advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store