Official Mantilla ID Thread

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
**This is the Official Mantilla ID thread. Please post pics of any Mantilla rays that you have. This is for ID purposes only, please do not post any comments. List size and sex of the rays you post**

Potamotrygon sp. "Mantilla"

Common Names: Mantilla Ray

Distribution:
Brazil (?)

Maximum Size (Disc Width):
appx. 24"+(?)

Juvenile Tank Footprint:
60"x18"

Adult Tank Footprint: 96"x36"+

Feeding Habits:
P. sp. "Mantilla" tend to have good feeding habits. They usually accept live foods upon arrival, and wean to prepared foods easily. They can be aggressive feeders towards maturity.

Info: Potamotrygon sp. "Mantilla" is an unidentified stingray known for it's sporadic scribbled markings. The origin of the name 'Mantilla' came from Richard Ross, who named it after a fish distributor from Florida named Jose Mantilla. This common name is used widely for a number of unidentified species. It is believed that a specific tributary in Brazil hosts the collection zone of the true Mantilla ray. It is also believed that the true Mantilla ray obtains a smaller maximum size than it's conspecific P. Motoro. Some combination of hybridized rays will produce offspring that are amazingly similar to the pattern of a Mantilla ray, such as Henlei x Motoro. Mantilla Rays are also thought to be wild stingrays that may have been hybridized in a certain river locale, and harvested for the aquarium trade.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
15" Female

(Known Motoro/Henlei Hybrid, but unsure of %s, believe one parent was full Motoro, the other half Motoro half Henlei.)

IMG_8834.JPG

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
more possible mantilla variations.

the female in the 1st couple pictures was called "mantilla x marble motoro"
Which has a lot of similarity to henlei x motoro

P1010295.JPG

P1020660.JPG

P1030455.JPG