Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
That's the one. It had a bit of a cult status. An ex girlfriend of mine was obsessed with it, she introduced me to it but, although I could see the attraction, it was a bit lame for my liking.
It was pretty much a soap opera in a prison setting.We knew it as The Women of Cell Block H lol.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Wow,doesn't the state own the island and property? They seem to be content to just allow it to rot away.On the other hand I guess Newsome has more pressing matters to concern himself with lol.
There is a long history behind us and I will post up a little bit of it later today.

Reactions: krichardson

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Now *this* is how you have fun, we are the box heads, together we are the protectors of cereals all over the world.6AD935EF-31CA-47B9-9317-AC04ECCB6FBA.jpeg

Reactions: esoxlucius

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Well I have some bad news about the Alcatraz photos. They seem to be on a machine that I decommissioned.
There are other photos with them that I want, so I am going to try and recover them all from the old drives

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Well I have some bad news about the Alcatraz photos. They seem to be on a machine that I decommissioned.
There are other photos with them that I want, so I am going to try and recover them all from the old drives
Please do,I was looking forward to what you had to share.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
So far, no luck.
I have been digging thru the old CDs and I may even try to access (urk!) photobucket, plus I have other machines to look thru as well.

In the meantime, here's some pix of Moaning Cavern, up by Frogtown in Calaveras county. Unfortunately, it no longer moans in the wind, since the gift shop was built above it. Fortunately, people don't just fall in anymore.

To enter the cavern by foot, you go thru a small door in the back of the gift shop. If you don't fit thru the door, forget the cave itself. It starts out narrow, as you wind thru a deep crack in the stone, on an irregular raw wooden stair.

My lovely wife shows off her fancy hollywood teeth. (We coulda had a new Jaguar instead . . .)
cavern.jpg

The stair doubles back in the crack, twice. Looking up you can see the bottom of the steps you came down.
mc04.jpg
You come out here at the top of the spiral stair. This is reputedly the oldest arc welded structure in California. It is quite tall, but solidly made, with lots of real steel basketwork.
MC08.jpg
It's tall. Like 169 feet tall.
MC09.jpg

Eventually you come out at the bottom of the main room. Very low light so hard to photo.
MC15.jpg

You see a lot of nice formations going down the stairs.
MC38.jpg

MC29.jpg
MC28.jpg

MC34.jpg

MC43.jpg

MC36.jpg

The cave has an open mouth above, one could rappel down for a fee. I didn't do it as they are really sticky about the rules. Anyhow there is a big semi-petrified lump, 200' directly below the hole, which consists mainly of stones and smashed bones from many unfortunate primitives and various large and small animals.

It's over 10' tall.
MC27.jpg

You can take some seriously muddy technical spelunking tours farther into the earth, but we weren't up for it.
There are some nice underground pools visible, but not well lit.
MC14.jpg

Reactions: celebrist and deeda

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Now *this* is how you have fun, we are the box heads, together we are the protectors of cereals all over the world.View attachment 1471850
This reminds me....i need to catch up on my box set of The Three Stooges! Thanks for the heads up Brian!

By the way, which one are you, Mo, Larry or Curly? Lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store