Official Off Topic Discussion Thread #1

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I got a raise from $10/hour to $15/hour, time to get even more tanks for Wallace’s shoehead catfish :naughty:
Hello; Do not wish to rain on your parade but you may want to wait a while before spending what seems like extra money on stuff you could not afford before the raise. The fear is inflation will eat up the raise and more. That you will wind up spending more for the same things that use to cost less. Those things may cost more and you may wind up with less buying power than before.
I have been thru the cycles a few times over my life.

Reactions: jjohnwm

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Most people just get a pay rise of a measly few %. So a 50% rise is quite a feat, well done young Brian.:thumbsup:
Hello; A story going around here is many are making more from unemployment + a $300 add on from the Federal government than they could from going back to work. So while there are loads of jobs open and not being filled, a lot of folks are just staying home and drawing their unemployment + fed. I have been trying to buy a riding mower and have been told they are hard to come by for this reason.
Some businesses have been raising wages and offering a bonus to get employees.
A 50% wage increase is good as long as the cost of living doe not increase 60%.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Hello; Do not wish to rain on your parade but you may want to wait a while before spending what seems like extra money on stuff you could not afford before the raise. The fear is inflation will eat up the raise and more. That you will wind up spending more for the same things that use to cost less. Those things may cost more and you may wind up with less buying power than before.
I have been thru the cycles a few times over my life.
Ahh yes, you see, I had meant for it to be a joke, however, it would appear that it did not come through clearly, my apologies. And worry not about me spending more, I’m saving up for my first rental unit.
Most people just get a pay rise of a measly few %. So a 50% rise is quite a feat, well done young Brian.:thumbsup:
Apparently I typed the wrong number, I’m currently making $14 an hour, not $15 an hour, still very good.

My boss said that he has acknowledged I’m an important part of our three man team in the part of the warehouse where we work. To make it simple, my boss W and my fellow coworker N run a plasma cutting table. You bring the metal sheets in and put them on the table, you program the machine to cut what you want, then you pick up the pieces and load them onto a pallet and get the metal that can be used and put it off to the side and take the metal that can’t be used (too small) and put it in the metal dumpster/trailer. I’m W’s assistant basically, I go back and forth between their plasma tables stacking up the metal, getting the left over metal off, and putting new metal on the table for them to cut. Because of me doing that N and W can focus on telling the machine what they want it to cut on the next sheet without having to waste time picking up the metal themselves. We are *consistently* ahead of schedule and whenever we get a bunch of jobs thrown at us at once (uncommon) we get caught up and back ahead quickly because of me. Here are some pics of work6B303E67-59BA-4519-9FFC-3EF9BC0B555A.jpeg155D2BDE-2BC0-4F9A-A5DE-3EE93842115E.jpeg0BF49191-341A-4083-833F-380BC971433E.jpeg156C1374-189E-48EC-811E-536ADCA9D95B.jpeg

Reactions: Bbuckley

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Some businesses have been raising wages and offering a bonus to get employees.
I believe I got the raise in part because I’ve told my boss that I was planning to leave within 2 years when I finished college. He wants to keep me so he got a raise for me however what he doesn’t know is that $14 an hour isn’t enough to keep me when I can make at $20+ an hour as a welder. If they give me another raise to at least $18 by the time school is done I’ll stay.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Not bad at all. I am currently earning $9 an hour doing first aid of university/primary school sport, which is 6x the minimum wage this side of the world. Not bad for saving a bit.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Fish head is back!

Reactions: tlindsey

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Good for you, fishhead! I usually have little summertime jobs. Last year I helped my grandpa (who is a semi-retired landscaper) out with a big job. Mostly digging. He has this bobcat that he likes to use, and he said that I could use it. He taught me how too. Unfortunately, they are on hard times right now, which is why most of the year i'll be helping him. He is 74. He broke a ton of stuff when he tried out a scooter for the first time in 20 years (he's funny that way), and all the medical bills add up. I just do it for fun. I also do little things, like a camp counselor, and do little chores around the house for whatever money I can scrounge up.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store