OFFICIAL PLANT/GARDENING THREAD

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Sounds like it may not be a good time to plant roses. I have some elsewhere in the yard. They're huge, zero maintenance.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
3 acres seems a bit much, especially when a pair of guinea hens could keep the pests down easily (used to work and spend time at farms, where I learned about 99% didn't have an idea how to run a farm or ranch).
It’s just how it’s been since we moved in. Believe me, it is a lot to care for. But the yard/house would look very unkept if I didn’t stay on it. Or let it go altogether.
This year, month or so now that I think about it, I want to try guineas. My grandmother-in-law raises hers from hatchlings. I need to see if she has any for me.
I’ve been debating on chickens, but want to try a year with guineas first since they will require less care.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
It’s just how it’s been since we moved in. Believe me, it is a lot to care for. But the yard/house would look very unkept if I didn’t stay on it. Or let it go altogether.
This year, month or so now that I think about it, I want to try guineas. My grandmother-in-law raises hers from hatchlings. I need to see if she has any for me.
I’ve been debating on chickens, but want to try a year with guineas first since they will require less care.
I'd say do guineas and either quail or pheasants, then convert most of your yard into far easier to maintain wildflowers (which require next to no care once established)

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I'd say do guineas and either quail or pheasants, then convert most of your yard into far easier to maintain wildflowers (which require next to no care once established)
Also can't hurt to have a garden with easier to maintain plants such as thornless blackberries and American plums

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Pheasants are on our future want list too. We have a wild male that hangs around every year. Last year we even had a group of wild turkey chicks. Never did see the parents, but it was fun seeing them grow up.
I’d love to be surrounded by wild flowers. I have been spreading native seeds around in hopes some will take. But I’m not prepared for the work involved to clear out grass to plant wildflowers. It’s a nice thought though.

Also can't hurt to have a garden with easier to maintain plants such as thornless blackberries and American plums
I have lots of gardens:) and a pretty large raspberry patch too! Ive been trying to get more varieties, but they keep dying on me over winter.
We do have an apple tree and will be adding to our grove area. Plums are good too. I really wanted peaches, but even the cold hardy one wouldn’t be able to hack winters like this. So I’m kinda disappointed.

This summer I want to try hydroponics. Not that I need to add anymore to my summer goals, but I think it will be great for my fish and I’ll get some greens out of it:)

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Pheasants are on our future want list too. We have a wild male that hangs around every year. Last year we even had a group of wild turkey chicks. Never did see the parents, but it was fun seeing them grow up.
I’d love to be surrounded by wild flowers. I have been spreading native seeds around in hopes some will take. But I’m not prepared for the work involved to clear out grass to plant wildflowers. It’s a nice thought though.

Work involved? Just burn or rake the grass in the area you want to start growing in, that's what I do, then spread the seeds.....

I have lots of gardens:) and a pretty large raspberry patch too! Ive been trying to get more varieties, but they keep dying on me over winter.
We do have an apple tree and will be adding to our grove area. Plums are good too. I really wanted peaches, but even the cold hardy one wouldn’t be able to hack winters like this. So I’m kinda disappointed.

This summer I want to try hydroponics. Not that I need to add anymore to my summer goals, but I think it will be great for my fish and I’ll get some greens out of it:)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yep, too much for me. Lol This year anyway.
I already have multiple gardens to tend to, one big one needs to be completely removed. So that will mean transplanting a ton of plants. I have a patio to put in, plus a few walking paths. A gazebo to install. The pool needs to be releveled. Need to redo the fire pit and possibly expand that patio. The pond needs a new filtration system and revamp. Dock needs staining...... I could keep going. Lol

The spring/summer is already so packed with projects.
A lot of that I’ll be doing on my own just so when my husband is free we can have some fun instead of working the warm months away. I’m hoping we finally get a chance to take the boat out this year and go camping more then once:)

Copper2

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2018
California but raised in Texas
3 acres seems a bit much, especially when a pair of guinea hens could keep the pests down easily (used to work and spend time at farms, where I learned about 99% didn't have an idea how to run a farm or ranch).
Awesome- it’s hard to find people who know what a guinea fowl is! And you know how to ranch! I lived on a ranch and raised poultry for 5 years. If anyone would like to know how to raise a bird I can tell you right now. A few pointers for now:
Don’t ever raise peacocks- do Grey Peacock Pheasants instead. Forget the good stories about them they’re possessed by demons- I am not a backyard chicken keep, I raised up to 60 birds at a time and that takes expertise please don’t think that I just don’t know what to do.

Guineas- the best useless bird ever. I wouldn’t doubt if they eat ticks so maybe they won’t be useless for you but I didn’t have a tick problem. They lay good eggs seasonally, screech when there’s a predator, look like scuba divers, can be a bit aggressive to chickens, live off the land no problem, and they run funny. Please take the time to find a pair- when I first got guineas I got all males on accident and then they started to play tag around the coop which was super hilarious. Almost impossible to stop the tag game too- a net scares them easy though. But I then realized why they were playing tag: It was breeding season and they’re was no hens, and no make guinea wanted to be at the receiving end of the others lust. So it wasn’t tag it was a male trying to flee from another!

Chickens- Don’t waste your time, just gets Cream Legbar Chickens. Get chicks if you have too, you’ll see why I say this breed in the long run.

Turkeys- So underrated! I raised a ton of these and they were all heritage varieties except for a few wild turkeys. They imprinted on me when young and I would take them for several mile long walks. They also saved me from a stepping onto a rattlesnake. I really miss them- I would recommend the show “My life as a Turkey.”

Don’t get ducks if you have a swimming pool- they’ll find it.

Quail are delicate: Pheasants a bit easier: Prairie Chickens are easy as adults and extremely difficult as chicks: Occellated turkeys are the most fragile birds to ever exist: Crowned Pigeons are easy except if you handfeed chicks- a real art: Turacos need a ton of fruit, tinamou are hardy but hard to get: Anyone need more info?

Copper2

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2018
California but raised in Texas
Cassowary need to be housed by themselves in large planted and shaded enclosures(shade is because they live in dense rainforests), but several can be kept together if the pen is a good size and it is plated so they don’t see each other. Females don’t like to be housed together. They are hardy to cold temperatures outside and only need a sheltered area that’s heated in extreme cold. Their diet is mainly fruit and the pen should be planted with fruiting plants that they can forage on as a supplement to their main diet. There’s more diet stuff but I haven’t really checked it out. Chicks are notoriously hard to raise- it seems that many eggs are also infertile

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store