OFFICIAL PLANT/GARDENING THREAD

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Cassowary need to be housed by themselves in large planted and shaded enclosures(shade is because they live in dense rainforests), but several can be kept together if the pen is a good size and it is plated so they don’t see each other. Females don’t like to be housed together. They are hardy to cold temperatures outside and only need a sheltered area that’s heated in extreme cold. Their diet is mainly fruit and the pen should be planted with fruiting plants that they can forage on as a supplement to their main diet. There’s more diet stuff but I haven’t really checked it out. Chicks are notoriously hard to raise- it seems that many eggs are also infertile
I've always like their dinosaur look and couldn't believe it when I learned that they are available for sale.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Copper2

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2018
California but raised in Texas
I've always like their dinosaur look and couldn't believe it when I learned that they are available for sale.
I want one too, but their price tag isn’t so nice! Ocellated turkeys are probably a good bird to practice on. One of the top breeders of ocellated turkeys said he doesn’t think a single ocellated turkey he has sold has survived in the hands of others. They die when the weather changes from sunny to just one day of rain. That would be a called a delicate bird!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I want one too, but their price tag isn’t so nice! Ocellated turkeys are probably a good bird to practice on. One of the top breeders of ocellated turkeys said he doesn’t think a single ocellated turkey he has sold has survived in the hands of others. They die when the weather changes from sunny to just one day of rain. That would be a called a delicate bird!
Yeah really!

Copper2

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2018
California but raised in Texas
I live in a land where it maybe rains a few times a year, think ocellswould love that!
They cost $2,000 each and go into depression if they’re caught or moved to a new place- in short they starve themselves. They won’t eat pellet food by itself, you have to put chopped fruit on top every time you feed them and then they’ll eat it all. Raising them indoors is actually better. They don’t have a good immune system, baby ocellated turkeys need to be raised by a chicken so they get exercise and become immune to disease by eating the chickens poop. Don’t pick up the chicks often, they get leg problems super easy and that’s why they need to get exercise from chasing the mother chicken

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Zoos are too lazy to breed them themselves. They buy them from private breeders. I think there is two breeders in the US
I looked up the ocellated turkey and it is a nice looking bird. They resmble peacock to me but it sounds like they might be more trouble than they are worth.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
K krichardson as per your request from another thread. I know I've shown my plant before. It's had it's ups and downs. When it gets too big I'll trim it back. But have had it since 1992.20181012_160748.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store