One big fish for a 55 long?

Kaybear

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2009
Kansas City, KS
I'm finally getting a couple of my tanks set back up after moving about a year ago. I used to breed fish but I don't have space for all the tanks now. I have my 75 set up and running now, started the fishless cycling process yesterday on it. I plan on putting one Oscar in there and calling it good. My boyfriend wants to set up the 55 long and is thinking about getting one big fish like me but isn't sure what to get. I plan on getting two penguin 200 bio filters for it. My question is what does everyone think we should get as the one big fish? I love black knife ghost fish but I think it would get too big even though some people say you can keep them in a 50. I was thinking about a flower horn as well but like I said I'm just not sure and would like some input. Thanks!

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
I'd go Jack Dempsey, I never owned one and then picked up one from the petsmart I work at about 4" because I got tired of watching him suffer, and honestly I really enjoy him a lot more than i thought i would. He's in a 45 now but when I move this summer he'll get an upgrade to his own 55

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
FLowerhorn...........The fish are owner responsive..........They grow up to a foot long........I have seen many flowerhorn fish grown in small quarters with no problems.......I beleive a 55g long is a little small, but will do for the first year................75g minimunm..............

Kaybear

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2009
Kansas City, KS
I wasn't sure on the flower horn, that sucks because my 75 is for the Oscar and I'm not getting another tank any time soon. Same thing goes with the black knife ghost fish too, 55 is too small?

burzumaske20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2010
Illinois
A 55 gallon is fine for a Jack Dempsey,Severum,Green Terror,and Texas.Those are your options that you can put in a 55 gallon honestly for one of those fishes,since you don't plan on upgrading your tank anytime soon.

Yellow_Perch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2011
Michigan
Black Ghost Knife all the way!

Kaybear

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2009
Kansas City, KS
Ugh I wish I wouldn't have sold my 125 gallon a while back. Not that I have anywhere to put it now but it would be nice to have with my addiction to keeping fish. Really wish I could get back into breeding, I miss my babies :(
Thanks for the responses, I will do my research and figure out which one will be best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store