One more try - Another Amaira

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
moe214 moe214 agreed. From what I have read, most people see growth slow around 12in and then further at like 18in. I did find one member on MFK that grew his from about 7in to 22in in 2 years. I am guessing once he starts closing in on 20in I will need to get him into a new home.

Reactions: moe214

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
moe214 moe214 agreed. From what I have read, most people see growth slow around 12in and then further at like 18in. I did find one member on MFK that grew his from about 7in to 22in in 2 years. I am guessing once he starts closing in on 20in I will need to get him into a new home.
Agreed you might want to even sooner, depends on how active he is because he may start to seem cramped width wise.

Regarding growth, I'm sure we hobbyist could get better growth then what is normally reported if the fish is kept alone and we take that feeder route. DB said his always did better solo ate more and grew faster. He just isn't much for single fish tanks which I can't blame him I'm not either lol

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
It's a 180g so 6x2x2 and he's like 9-10in so I have time.

How do folks weigh down tops? You can see I have a 4x4 sitting on top with more pieces are the back of the glass canopy. I'm worried when he gets bigger this will not be enough

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
It's a 180g so 6x2x2 and he's like 9-10in so I have time.

How do folks weigh down tops? You can see I have a 4x4 sitting on top with more pieces are the back of the glass canopy. I'm worried when he gets bigger this will not be enough
With regular weights usually I'm not sure how much the glass tops can hold but I've seen people put 10lbs

peter predtank

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2015
peterborough ontario
i have a 180 too but a little different set up , being that my tank is a different shape a 4x4 foot print . with a uro brace with a lip under the brace . so i have a custom cut sliding glass lid made with thicker 5 , 8ths glass that sits on the lip . this glass is pretty heavy just because of the size so i dont have to worry much about jumping for now and hopefully a while lol .

but if and when i do i would not put heavy weights on top for the fear of them falling into the tank and breaking it . that could be disastrous .

personally i would recommend designing some kind of custom lid made of plastic or wood with some type of latching mechanism . perhaps using some of that Velcro tape stuff . your tank has the plastic rim on the top which could be easy to use something like that .

or custom nice wood top if your good at that sort of thing . but ya i would advice against putting heavy things on top :eek:

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Updated headshots. You can see the scarring from columnaris still. I'm paranoid the holes around his nostrils are newish or getting bigger, hence the pics. Want to keep an eye to make sure nothing is coming back.

IMG_2400.JPG IMG_2402.JPG IMG_2404.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store