One more try - Another Amaira

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
This guy is starting to pound the pellets and I need to be careful not to overfeed. He ate 40 sticks last night.

Loving my autodrip. With daily feedings my nitrates for now are sticking around 10ppm. I've introduced probiotics (ridx) to help fight all the waste and so I don't have to worry so much about gravel vacing.

Reactions: moe214

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Quick update. Failed to get this guy onto NLS pellets. I have over him from hikari foodsticks to Massivore delight. Not NLS but a bit better quality. The plan is for Massivore to be the staple and then I’ll do krill and silversides periodically also. At some point I’ll try to get him onto NLS.

After starving him for 2.5 weeks again it looks like he’s gained size since going into massivore. I have had him for 9.5 months and he’s put on about 8in. He is 12in now. Not bad for multiple starving periods between chsnjng his food and when he got sick.

Will try for updated pics soon.

Killduv

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Hope all is well with the wolf. Also Northfin make a good carnivore pellet. I use it along with Massivore. With the occasional frozen fish. For my black wolf.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Hope all is well with the wolf. Also Northfin make a good carnivore pellet. I use it along with Massivore. With the occasional frozen fish. For my black wolf.
Doing well. Giving him a mix of krill and silversides soaked in viatachem with Massivore as the stable 3-4 times a week. I thought about northfin but didn’t like what I read about the high level of preservative in their food that can be highly toxic.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Progress is slow going. Got bulkheads, elbows, barbs installed along with the new water line plus washed the red flourite. Probably took 3 hours to wash but love the way it looks. Hope to run all tubing tomorrow.
View attachment 1273213 View attachment 1273214 View attachment 1273215
thanks for sending me this thread nzafi. Is that the regulator in the 2nd pic ?

so after the regulator what did you use on the run to the tank ?

Gotta add I never cared much for wolves but I really like yours and good job on nursing this guy back to health, seems like he gave you a run for your money.

I stopped feeding northfin to my polys and went with NLS mega fish they love it

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
J jaws7777 correct, that is the regulator I used. I think I included a link to the thread that listed out my parts list. For running to the tank, I just used the appropriate airline tubing that fit the regulator and inputs to the chlorine/chloramine filter you see in the pics.

I am very lucky I got this guy nursed back to health. I believe that voltage leakage that killed this guy is also what lead to the death of my rhom and subsequent gatf.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
J jaws7777 correct, that is the regulator I used. I think I included a link to the thread that listed out my parts list. For running to the tank, I just used the appropriate airline tubing that fit the regulator and inputs to the chlorine/chloramine filter you see in the pics.

I am very lucky I got this guy nursed back to health. I believe that voltage leakage that killed this guy is also what lead to the death of my rhom and subsequent gatf.
Wait the fish died ?

Ok that makes sense so then from chlorine dilter to the tank is just airline tubing ? Do.you have a drip emitter on it ? How did you secure it ?

Sorry man im all over the place i will look through the list/thread again

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
I had a 17 year old rhom that died. Got an aimara that jumped the tank and died, then gatf. All within 8 months. The aimara in this thread is still with me.

You are right, from the filter to the tank. The emitter just plugs into the airline. It’s not really airline but similar tubing that’s used for fridges and other applications. I think is 1/4in tubing so you just get an emitter that works with 1/4in tubing which is most.

Reactions: jaws7777

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
So I have not made any major updates to this thread recently. I will say this guy continues to grow. I am planning to take pictures soon as the 1 year anniversary of having him is coming up. I think he is about 12in now which is growth of about 8in in 10months. In in addition to length, he is definitely putting on girth. This guy loves to eat. I feed him almost daily with his diet being a mix of massivore (10-12 pellets), freeze dried krill, and silversides soaked in vitachem. At some point I will try another switch to NLS.

In other news I did a create a thread related to planning his upgrade. It will be a "show tank" tank so I need to figure out how to hide all the plumbing depending on filtration method. If I am forced to drill the back panel I will have to do a tank that is about 42in wide instead of 48in.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/tank-upgrade-450-550g-planning.697648/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store