One tank and loving it.

flowerhornfishman

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2013
Malaysia
I finally sold my 125 gallon last week. So now I only have one 60 gallon tank, not including the turtle tank. I am loving it! My love for my hobby has become stronger now that I have more time to enjoy watching my jack dempsey's interact. I almost though i was close to leaving the hobby because I felt like I wasn't able to keep up with the 125 gallon. I don't think I am completely done with multiple tanks but I will never own a tank bigger then a 75 gallon. Huge tanks just are not for me. Lol... I almost feel like I should be banned from this forum. Am I the only one who prefer tanks that are 75 gallons and under?

Sent from my SCH-R970C using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
gosh, same with me man.. even having a 60g(now) really burdens me... coping with my tank and also in school really stresses me out.. sometimes i dont have time to take care of my fish due to lots of homework.. there was a few times where i didnt feed them for a few days.. i was too busy.. now, i always thinking of owning one fish, which is a flowerhorn.. now i have an empty 100g and 33g.. i have my small endli and my small midas in the 60g.. doing water changes and monitoring the tank is really tiring for me as a student.. always thinking of leaving the hobby for a while but we'll see :)

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I'm down to one tank, and I hate it.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
small tanks can be just as rewarding as large tanks, i spend as much time in front of my 90 as my 300, but tbh the 90 is no harder to maintain with the right equipment. big fish arnt always better.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
I'm not a fan of a bunch of work either. But I bet that the 125 probably could have been reconfigured to be a lot less maintenance.. instead of getting rid of it all together. Generally there is less maintenance on a bigger tank. However you had it setup, I bet if you halfed your stock, it would have made a big dent on how often you needed to maintain it.

Or, got rid of the stock in the 125, then moved the stock from the 60 to the 125 and kept the 60 as just a spare tank. Whatever you have in the 60 would have been loving the extra space, you would have been loving the extra action of the occupants using that extra space.. and presumably you would have loving the lower maintenance of a lightly loaded tank.

Just throwing ideas around...

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
The whole point of fish keeping is to enjoy the hobby and not feel like it's a big chore. Good job on making the decision to concentrate on 1 tank.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Yes, I am looking forward to shutting down the 90 grow out and only having the one tank (450) as well. Of course the sump has a variety of life forms in it to maintain biodiversity :)

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
gosh, same with me man.. even having a 60g(now) really burdens me... coping with my tank and also in school really stresses me out.. sometimes i dont have time to take care of my fish due to lots of homework.. there was a few times where i didnt feed them for a few days.. i was too busy.. now, i always thinking of owning one fish, which is a flowerhorn.. now i have an empty 100g and 33g.. i have my small endli and my small midas in the 60g.. doing water changes and monitoring the tank is really tiring for me as a student.. always thinking of leaving the hobby for a while but we'll see :)

I am sorry you feel that way, but I completely understand. I guess you just have to find the right ballance. A tank that you enjoy but that is not too big to be a burden. For me that is what my 60 gallon offer. Maybe you should just try only stocking the 33 gallon until you are done with school. I'm sure you will be able to find an enjoyable stock for a 33 gallon.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I'm not a fan of a bunch of work either. But I bet that the 125 probably could have been reconfigured to be a lot less maintenance.. instead of getting rid of it all together. Generally there is less maintenance on a bigger tank. However you had it setup, I bet if you halfed your stock, it would have made a big dent on how often you needed to maintain it.

Or, got rid of the stock in the 125, then moved the stock from the 60 to the 125 and kept the 60 as just a spare tank. Whatever you have in the 60 would have been loving the extra space, you would have been loving the extra action of the occupants using that extra space.. and presumably you would have loving the lower maintenance of a lightly loaded tank.

Just throwing ideas around...

Great ideas, but I considered all of that. It came down to the size of the tank just wasn't for me. I just don't prefer to have a 6 foot tank. My jack dempsey's were in the 125 at one point and honestly they hide much less in the 60 gallon then they did in the 125 gallon. I always had to find which cave they were hiding in if I wanted to see them in the 125 gallon. In the 60 gallon they are always out swimming and they even come up to the front of the tank to see me when I enter the room something they never done in the 125 gallon. I'm sure they would've eventually loved the extra space, but at the same time I can't just be a slave to my hobby. I have to also enjoy it. This way no one is losing because 60 gallons is a good size territory for a pair of jack dempsey's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store