One white dot. Treat for ich or wait?

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I just noticed this today. I've been busy all week so not really scrutinizing tank so not sure how long it might have been there.

I've had these fish in QT since early December. I moved over 5 M. splendida to main tank almost two weeks ago and they are fine.

Should I be treat for ich or just wait to see if more spots develop? I don't see white spots on any other fish. Not sure if this happens to be first of many spots or is something else

I'm leaving Monday night-Fri morning if that affects what you would do.

IMG_20190427_203941_exported_41_1556415594562.jpgIMG_20190427_203600_exported_108_1556415382983.jpg00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20190427203321203.jpg
MVIMG_20190427_210015.jpg

Last edited:

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
It kinda looks like your tank could use a little TLC in general, but in the case of ich, it's better to err on the side of caution and treat with salt and heat as recommended. There's really no downside and it would be especially prudent if you are leaving town for a few days.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
It kinda looks like your tank could use a little TLC in general, but in the case of ich, it's better to err on the side of caution and treat with salt and heat as recommended. There's really no downside and it would be especially prudent if you are leaving town for a few days.
I do water changes usually every other day. The algae I just let grow as I figure it helps filter the water anyway and when I eventually get more panda garra , theyll have food to graze on in QT.

This is a ten gallon QT tank.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I watched this Aquarium Coop Livestream about salt treatments. Initial, mild treatment is around what's recommended here for ich: 1 tablespoon per 3 gallons. Cory made it sound like 2 tbsp per gallon is more a therapudic dose.

Looking again now, after a water change adding the salt, I can't even tell which fish had that white mark.

In any case, as the reply.above said and Cory said, for rummynose and dwarf praecox, this initial amount of salt isn't harmful and can help with various issues so I'll see what happens.

I have ich x in stock in case a bunch of white dots appear.

I shouldn't have ich as they should've developed it a while ago as they have been quarantining.

Ich is supposed to come from somewhere though other literature claims it can be hidden in gills. I think it could be possible as maybe I stressed them from feeding too much this week. I should've tested the water before the water change this morning.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I have ich x in stock in case a bunch of white dots appear.
Hello; Not clear to me it is ick (ich) from the picture. If ick there will be more spots soon and should be before Monday.
A caution; not a wise thing to use two medications at the same time. Since you already are using salt that would mean using ich -x is a risky idea. Of course you can replace most of the water and use the ich-x.

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
Hello; Not clear to me it is ick (ich) from the picture. If ick there will be more spots soon and should be before Monday.
A caution; not a wise thing to use two medications at the same time. Since you already are using salt that would mean using ich -x is a risky idea. Of course you can replace most of the water and use the ich-x.
Thanks for the warning. Yeah I just mentioned that to indicate that I have that ich x immediately available if a full infection develops.

It's weird that I can't find anything on any of the fish now.

I'm paranoid in general though. For example, The other day, I thought a fish had stringy poo even though I treated with prazi pro and levamisole months ago. Later I realized the fish was swimming with a piece of cat hair stuck on it that later got hooked on the fake plant...

If I hadn't taken that pic, I would noy be sure if I really had seen a white spot because I just stared at the tank for another five minutes and couldn't figure out which fish it is.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
It's weird that I can't find anything on any of the fish now.
hello; I cannot be sure so bear that in mind. Based on the photo and no more new spots my guess is there is no ich. The ich parasites hatch out in numbers and you should start seeing many more, especially on the clear fins. Also ich does not go away in a few hours or days. It is a several week treatment process that must continue for around ten days after the last spot is gone.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
I'm paranoid in general though. For example, The other day, I thought a fish had stringy poo even though I treated with prazi pro and levamisole months ago. Later I realized the fish was swimming with a piece of cat hair stuck on it
Hello; interesting. When you get back from the trip and have the ich done one way or the other please tell us how you feed a cat to the fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I use 3 lbs of salt per 100 gallons, because unless the salinity (osmotic pressure) reaches 3.5ppt, ick will laugh it off.
I just treated a 180 gal tank for ick, because the wild fish arrived with a few spots.
I used 18 gallons of Pacific ocean water.
Ocean water averages 35ppt (35 lbs salt per 100 gallons) , , so I calculated 18 gallons sea water in a 180 gal tank would create a salinity of 3.5ppt, that salinity also prevented Lernea anchors from reproducing.
The wild tetras showed up with Lernea, now gone.
fullsizeoutput_1158.jpeg

Last edited:

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
So I just got home. Cant find any white spots but now a female Praecox looks like it developed a prolapse and I'm afraid one of the fish are gonna mess it up. Look at the rummynose in the second pic.

Now what? Read about Epson salts for that but afraid to do that now considering I just did salt.

Should I move her to solo fry tank before a rummynose bites it off?

MVIMG_20190428_174928.jpg

MVIMG_20190428_174833.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store