Online suppliers?

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
WOW talk about pricey. $250 for a 14-15" Endli and $380 for a 16-17" lap then $100 shipping :eek3:

That's from that monster aquarium place in Ny. I think I'll just wait and make some bi-weekly runs to the local shop where I have got the rest of mine from. He's pretty bare right now but usually he gets some good size 10"+ ones in quite often and they are never more than $100-$125 range.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Toyin of Rehoboth Aquatics is still the best for polys in my opinion. No competition. The guy himself is a polypterus fanatic. Can't beat the price and shipping cost that he offers. Like many have said it can be a pain to deal with him. But honestly, many hobbyist have wasted his time so I totally understand from his side. Not agreeing to his methods but not much you can do. I think It's nice enough for him to deal with hobbyist like us already. The majority of his business goes to international or wholesale to LFS anyway. Some of you might not know but some of the other "bichir vendors", get their "rarer" bichirs from Toyin as well. I've been dealing with Toyin for about 10 years now. From my experience with Toyin, you just have to be patient. There's a reason why he's still around after all these years.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
WOW talk about pricey. $250 for a 14-15" Endli and $380 for a 16-17" lap then $100 shipping :eek3:

That's from that monster aquarium place in Ny. I think I'll just wait and make some bi-weekly runs to the local shop where I have got the rest of mine from. He's pretty bare right now but usually he gets some good size 10"+ ones in quite often and they are never more than $100-$125 range.
Wondering if Monster Aquarium gets their WC polys from Toyin, hence the mark up.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Toyin of Rehoboth Aquatics is still the best for polys in my opinion. No competition. The guy himself is a polypterus fanatic. Can't beat the price and shipping cost that he offers. Like many have said it can be a pain to deal with him. But honestly, many hobbyist have wasted his time so I totally understand from his side. Not agreeing to his methods but not much you can do. I think It's nice enough for him to deal with hobbyist like us already. The majority of his business goes to international or wholesale to LFS anyway. Some of you might not know but some of the other "bichir vendors", get their "rarer" bichirs from Toyin as well. I've been dealing with Toyin for about 10 years now. From my experience with Toyin, you just have to be patient. There's a reason why he's still around after all these years.
What's the minimum amount you have to buy from him to get him to work with you? 3? 4? 5? WC polys? I know that 1 poly hasn't been enough.

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
What's the minimum amount you have to buy from him to get him to work with you? 3? 4? 5? WC polys? I know that 1 poly hasn't been enough.
A minimum order of $100

Since I typically deal with ropes and UJ species, i have a hard time coming up with 100 bucks in fish when i'm ready to order. Right now all i'm looking for are some ropes (bought a couple the other day locally and they didn't make it through QT). So Toyin is out but he seems to be the only person that has them in stock recently.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
A minimum order of $100

Since I typically deal with ropes and UJ species, i have a hard time coming up with 100 bucks in fish when i'm ready to order. Right now all i'm looking for are some ropes (bought a couple the other day locally and they didn't make it through QT). So Toyin is out but he seems to be the only person that has them in stock recently.
I was thinking that maybe the higher you go past the minimum, the more he is willing to work with you, like I want to buy 3 15" UJ.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Far as Toyin goes- Good quality/price is still no excuse for poor service IMO. And the quality/price means nothing if you can't get him to follow through to the end of a transaction.

I've had many people waste my time in my business over the past 17 years, more than I could even begin to tell you, yet I still conduct myself in a professional manner and treat my customers the way I would want to be treated as a customer myself. If you continue to deal with someone whom provides very poor customer service, then all you are doing is condoning their behavior. That's my .02cents on that subject as a business owner myself.

Going to hit the local shop again after Christmas and see what he has. He normally has at least a few good polys that are 10"+ most times but was just out when I was there last week. I just have to be a little patient and wait for him to get more in....just hard to do sometimes though lol

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Wondering if Monster Aquarium gets their WC polys from Toyin, hence the mark up.
Maybe before they did but as of recently I believe they have been importing their own wild caught bichirs directly from Africa.

I was thinking that maybe the higher you go past the minimum, the more he is willing to work with you, like I want to buy 3 15" UJ.
That's not the case. :grinno:

Reactions: beau1990

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
Maybe before they did but as of recently I believe they have been importing their own wild caught bichirs directly from Africa.

That's not the case. :grinno:
yea you just gotta tell him that Hao Hao sent you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store