OOPS!!! Not Fish. Just Dinosaur Eggs.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Fascinating thread. I read every post and very much enjoyed it.

Phil, have you ever had a chance to examine any phorusrhacid material?
Never had the good fortune of holding or examining any terror bird material. Would love to if ever afforded the opportunity.

Brent419

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2014
Toledo OH
Beautiful collection. Besides keeping fish, I also collect rocks, minerals and fossils although I don't have any shell frags. I'll be looking for some now that I've seen yours. Love it!!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Why do you say Utahraptor when they call it Velociraptor in the movies? I was to understand the Utahraptor was the raptor-giant pushing 12-15 feet and 8 feet high, even bigger than Deinonychus. Saw a documentary about them on Jurassic Fight Club or Dino Fight Night or one of those History channel specials.....they were older series they still replay on occasion, you know of them?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Spielberg wanted velociraptors in his movie. But, to make them more interesting on film, he ordered them to be made to man height. Utahraptor was identified and named after the script was already written for the Jurassic Park movie and only provided a coincidental justification for Spielberg's resizing of the smaller velociraptors for their on-screen appearance.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Spielberg wanted velociraptors in his movie. But, to make them more interesting on film, he ordered them to be made to man height. Utahraptor was identified and named after the script was already written for the Jurassic Park movie and only provided a coincidental justification for Spielberg's resizing of the smaller velociraptors for their on-screen appearance.
You notice that up until maybe 10-15 years ago they never portrayed dinosaurs with feathers? Almost every render/picture/drawing of anything in the Raptor family nowadays are covered in feathers.....it was't like that when I was reading dinosaur books as a kid 35 years ago. Totally changed how they viewed Spinosaurus too.

You think they are just making new discoveries on old findings or something else?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Spinosaur fossil records are fairly incomplete after the first near complete fossil was destroyed in germany in ww2. In some cases I think feathers would be helpful for a dinosaur, such as colder areas. But creatures such as velociraptors (believed to live in desert) would most likely not have feathers if they were COLD blooded, if WARM blooded feathers could help insulate feathers.

I would also like to believe that full feathers most likely were not prevelant full body, but a cover of 'fluff' on juvenile dinos (especially therapods) might of helped survival rate.

I own no dinosaur fossils, but do have prehistoric shark teeth from southern america from 60-70 mya and squid cases in black granite (3" and 6")

also I have a box of fossils containing large chunks of ammonite fossils,a few small whole ones, about +-70 2" squid cases and feww small shark teeth.
my faviourite bits are a 5mm ammonite, 3mm tooth, a small ammonitr chunk with pyrites in and some rock with aquatic plant imprints.
all of that was collected on the east coast of England

Would oddball mind if I post some pics?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You notice that up until maybe 10-15 years ago they never portrayed dinosaurs with feathers? Almost every render/picture/drawing of anything in the Raptor family nowadays are covered in feathers.....it was't like that when I was reading dinosaur books as a kid 35 years ago. Totally changed how they viewed Spinosaurus too.

You think they are just making new discoveries on old findings or something else?
both

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store