Oops

RealCrix220

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
I always thought African cichlids were mouth breeders. I personally don’t like African cichlids as I have tried them and there just way way way to aggressive like all the time, unlike South American cichlids who are way way way too aggressive when they want to be with my experiences the African cichlids are always aggressive. Don’t get me wrong not all of them and there are some beautiful ones out there.
Sorry for going off track but yes very strange this would have happened in a bucket

Dalfrey86

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2020
Not all too surprising in theory since it was likely stress induced birth. I never tried to breed fish before nor do I plan to in the future. If it happens great, if not, cool.
As for aggression I have little to none in the tank. 125 gallon, 1 full grown stonii and a mix of smaller malawi cichlids. Total count is 7 fish. Been with me for 6 to 8 months with the only problem being the one time the common pleco ate the stonii that was laying on its side stalking its prey.

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
Mouth brooding cichlids will often spit out the fry when moved or caught in a net. I think the breeding happened several weeks before and the stress of being put in the bucket coinciding with the babies being old enough to get along on their own resulted in the babies in the bucket. I've seen it a number of times, including in a bag when a brooding mother is sold at a lfs.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store