Open to ideas!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I will have to look further in to these as well, although I'm really liking the sound of more of a community tank and it might be crowded with a pair of these and dithers of some sort...
In a 40 gallon, you would be fine with a pair of these and some dithers. small school of tetras would work well, maybe some cories. These guys are from Costa Rica, if you wanted to do a biotope, you could keep them with some wild variant livebearers.
That said, the west African thing would be cool too. I'd go with whatever you like more. But both are plausible for the tank size.

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
Gourami Swami Gourami Swami are you familiar with Cryptoheros Chetumalensis by any chance? I just took a look on aquabid and saw someone with a breeding pair selling 10 fry... I've never heard of them before, but after a quick search I came across an article by Sam Borstein stating males don't exceed 4" either...

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Athletic_Amph Athletic_Amph Chetumalensis would work as well. I have not kept them, but from what I have read, they are pretty typical cryptoheros/amatitlania, similar to spilurus. Nice looking fish too. A pair of them along with some dithers like Mexican tetras or livebearers would be a cool tank.

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
well, I've just been given a 55g tank for free... buddy of mine bought it for something and says it's too big so he's letting me take it off his hands :D

now what to stock it with :confused: West African, Dwarfs, smaller cryptoheros or amatitlanias? Open to all suggestions again :) Are there any smaller species in the Thorichthys genus that would do well as a pair in the 55?
what would you do if it were your 55g and your heart was set on Cichlids?

Last edited:

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
well, I've just been given a 55g tank for free... buddy of mine bought it for something and says it's too big so he's letting me take it off his hands :D

now what to stock it with :confused: West African, Dwarfs, smaller cryptoheros or amatitlanias? Open to all suggestions again :) what would you do if it were your 55g and your heart was set on Cichlids?
Breeding colonies of nanochromis transvestitus
8 synodontis nigriventis, butterfly fish and a shoal of congo tetras.
Anubias wrapping roots around rocks with overhanging branches.

Reactions: magpie

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
Breeding colonies of nanochromis transvestitus
8 synodontis nigriventis, butterfly fish and a shoal of congo tetras.
Anubias wrapping roots around rocks with overhanging branches.
I have been looking at quite a few of the Nanochromis & Pelvichromis families. There are quite a few different species available from Wet Spot... along with many synos and tetras, and plants lol

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
I've officially decided to stay away from the larger CA/SA cichlids...
I'll either be doing a West African biotope or an Apisto biotope... i've been watching countless videos on youtube and just can't decide on which I'd like to keep!
with a 55g tank, is it possible to keep two different species of Apistos, nanochromis, or Pelvicachromis together? or would it be best for a large breeding colony of one species?

Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 I'm really liking the idea of congo tetras and some synos with possibly some Nanochromis Splendens maybe? but there's something about the Apistos that has really caught my attention (probablyyy the trailers, as it's one of my favorite features of SA/CAs lol)

Reactions: kewpiefishypewpie

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I've officially decided to stay away from the larger CA/SA cichlids...
I'll either be doing a West African biotope or an Apisto biotope... i've been watching countless videos on youtube and just can't decide on which I'd like to keep!
with a 55g tank, is it possible to keep two different species of Apistos, nanochromis, or Pelvicachromis together? or would it be best for a large breeding colony of one species?

Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 I'm really liking the idea of congo tetras and some synos with possibly some Nanochromis Splendens maybe? but there's something about the Apistos that has really caught my attention (probablyyy the trailers, as it's one of my favorite features of SA/CAs lol)
If you like fish with trailers have you considered a group of tangs like neolampralogus brichardi?
(the name may have changed, not sure,it's been years since I have kept them)
Thet have lovely long trailers and are interesting fish to breed.
Each generation of fry will help the parents look after the next batch of fry until you end up with a great big shoal of them.
Nice fish in a rocky tank with a black background and the right lighting.

Just another idea for you as you mentioned trailers.

Reactions: Athletic_Amph
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store