Open top tank, which monster won't jump out?

Aeonir

Feeder Fish
Apr 24, 2019
I'm busy setting up a tank in which i plan to let Cyperus percamenthus (and several others) grow out of the top... Not sure what to put in it though, i expect most monsters will jump out...

Tank is 130*50*50 cm (325 liter)
So small-ish monsters that won't jump... Any ideas cause i can't find any.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I think it's pretty chancy keeping most any monster fish in a tank without a lid or netting -- esp. in that size tank -- when a fish grows and the more cramped or crowded it feels = a higher chance for them jumping out.

Might not be your cup of tea, and they usually have to be kept solo to thrive, but I've never had a Flowerhorn jump out of a tank. They're too smart (it's why they have big heads) :)

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Seriously, I doubt that anyone can guarantee a fish will not jump out. Even if someone suggested a type, is there a chance?
There are things that can be done to help keep fish from jumping. Many have open top tanks. Transitional lighting, low water levels.
Some use a netting top. Might be able to modify a net top so the plants can go thru.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I think it's pretty chancy keeping most any monster fish in a tank without a lid or netting -- esp. in that size tank -- when a fish grows and the more cramped or crowded it feels = a higher chance for them jumping out.

Might not be your cup of tea, and they usually have to be kept solo to thrive, but I've never had a Flowerhorn jump out of a tank. They're too smart (it's why they have big heads) :)
I think they may be a little "unbalanced" for jumping, but you have a point.
I think this guy (below) needs a larger tank.

Reactions: islandguy11

Aeonir

Feeder Fish
Apr 24, 2019
Flowerhorns are not my thing. I was just looking at Microctenopoma ansorgii not much of a monster but ensuring enough space makes jumping less likely i suppose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store