Open top tank, which monster won't jump out?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Flowerhorns are not my thing. I was just looking at Microctenopoma ansorgii not much of a monster but ensuring enough space makes jumping less likely i suppose.
If a fish is capable of generating enough speed to get airborne......put a cover on the tank!

Reactions: Matteus

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
You can risk anything theres a chance anything can jump I have 2 flowerhorn in an open tank since the glass top broke just have a light.

the_deeb

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
NYC
I’ve also got a large shallow open top tank with plants growing out of the top. It does have a 2” eurobrace, which might help a bit, but I have definitely lost some fish to jumping over the years. Barbs and SAEs have been the most problematic.

However, I haven’t had any instances of any catfish, knifefish, ctenopoma or geophagus jumping out, so those could be some options to consider.

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
I've got silver dollars in my 6 foot riparium which is perfectly set up for jumpers... yet not one has left the water. They build up lots of speed and hit the surface aggressively during feeding - but have never jumped. They'd have my vote.

Of course, like others have said, in theory anything could take a leap of faith..

Reactions: LBDave and Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I say use reverse psychology. Get a Jardini and expect it to jump, but it will land back in the tank because you didn’t have a lid to block it from landing back in the water. :evil_lol:

On a more serious note. You could try using an egg crate light diffuser as a baffle and still adjust it to your needs of planting. This is similar to the net idea that some have suggested. Ecld is less than $20 at a hardware store typically. Super easy to cut to adjust what openings you want.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I say use reverse psychology. Get a Jardini and expect it to jump, but it will land back in the tank because you didn’t have a lid to block it from landing back in the water. :evil_lol:

On a more serious note. You could try using an egg crate light diffuser as a baffle and still adjust it to your needs of planting. This is similar to the net idea that some have suggested. Ecld is less than $20 at a hardware store typically. Super easy to cut to adjust what openings you want.
I've done this in the past, and it is effective. You'll get dropping after a few days, but you can just keep flipping it over.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Datnoids don’t jump...at least they don’t seem like they would. I had some separated in a floating cage in my tank and even when I’m trying to catch one and it’s right at the edge of the cage and could easily swim over, it wouldn’t....doesn’t seem to like leaving the water.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Matteus has your solution. I use eggcrate on several tanks with barbs and only ever had one figure a way out of it`s tank. I`ve never had it droop though. I think xravcer is talking about the clear plastic sheets as opposed to the white grid diffuser. I tried that and gave up on it early on. Now I use the greenhouse siding to make tank tops. But for emergent plants the white stuff is the way to go.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Datnoids don’t jump...at least they don’t seem like they would. I had some separated in a floating cage in my tank and even when I’m trying to catch one and it’s right at the edge of the cage and could easily swim over, it wouldn’t....doesn’t seem to like leaving the water.
You know what? I think you are on to something. Might be a good monster fish for an open top tank....:idea:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store