Opinions for filling a 110

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
So you are pretty much saying that he can't have the following fish in a 110:
Oscar, Trimac, Red Devil, Midas, Festae, Black Nasty, Snook, Jaguar, Chocolate Cichlid, Mota, Black Belt or any Vieja Species, certain Pike Cichlids, I could go on.....
He is free to do what he likes.
No I don't think any of those should be in 110 for life.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
So you are pretty much saying that he can't have the following fish in a 110:
Oscar, Trimac, Red Devil, Midas, Festae, Black Nasty, Snook, Jaguar, Chocolate Cichlid, Mota, Black Belt or any Vieja Species, certain Pike Cichlids, I could go on.....
Oscar, RD/midas, chocolate, mota, Viejas rarely get above 12". Yes some do, but the majority will max out at a foot in length. Most of the time those fish would be fine in the 110, but if you were to get the uncommonly large specimen, I do think it would be better off in a 150+. The jaguar, black nasty, and snook, all should have a larger tank. You could keep one for a long time in a 125, maybe for life if it doesn't grow to potential, but it would be better off in a larger tank. As we are giving somebody with an empty tank advice on what new fish to get, it doesn't make sense to me to tell them to get a fish that would just barely be "okay", when there are plenty of fish that would do much better and thrive in this smaller tank. The equivalent of a buttikoferi in this 110 would be an RD/Midas/Oscar etc in a 55 gallon tank. Will the fish die because the tank is too small? No. But are there plenty of much better options for the tank size? absolutely.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Personally I think oscars, vieja, Rd,midas will all grow bigger then 12 inch, fish grow for the majority of there life given the correct care and time. Alot of Andy Woods fish are over 5 years old and still have noticeable growth.
As aquarist's we all go on how long a fish get, but a 12 inch moto weighs about 600 grams a 12 inch trimac weighs over a 1000 grams a 16 inch jag is about the same weight as a 14 inch midas an 18 inch butti must be getting on for 4 lbs,

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
The trouble is a lot of hobbyists move fish on a lot.
They will often reach twelve inches and then get rehomed.
I have personally seen many veija well over 14 inches and up to 17 inches.The same goes for oscars and Rd/midas cichlids.
The ones that don't achieve these size are normally in tanks that are too small or have too many nitrates.

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
I don't think that is what he is saying at all. I agree with him that there are lots of great choices that stay under a foot that would look great in a 19" wide tank that would be more comfortable than a larger fish. A solo wet pet might be able to push this some but as a community tank guy I try to stick with the basic formula of max length being half of tank width.
That statement is fair, I can reason with that, but to say you can't put a fish that gets larger than a foot in a 19 inch wide tank is a bit overkill.

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
View attachment 1239808

18 inch buttikoferi.

And I stand by everything I said.
Not trying to be a jerk, but how does that pic show that the fish is 18 inches. The thing that annoys me with you is you have yet to tell me of any personal experience of actually owning a Buttikefori, I have owned quite a few and based my opinion on actually owning a fish rather than going by pics or info on the net. I am getting the impression you argue for the sake of arguing?

shamrock

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
El Paso
He is free to do what he likes.
No I don't think any of those should be in 110 for life.
Wait? Not telling OP what he should and should not have, just giving him ideas.
And if you really think that you can't have an Oscar or Red Devil in a 110 for life, perhaps the whole fish trade should not exist. I could show you post and pics on this website of fish like Oscars for example that are probably in tanks that size if not smaller, I don't mind a healthy debate but I have yet to hear your personal exp. on any of the above fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store