Opinions on the python water changer

Burbotman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
They are slick for smaller tanks in the 55-75 gallon range but I could never understand their appeal for larger tanks.

A gravel vac with a long hose, a garden hose ( I use the rv drinking water type) and tap fitting are all that are needed. Start a syphon with the gravel vac and drain outside or to a toilet. Then fill with the hose connected the tap.

Let gravity not water pressure due the work

( besides my wife would be less enthusiastic about my hobby if I was draining tank water into a sink)

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Pythons beat using five gallon buckets to do water changes. They have to be connected to a water source. They require more water than a traditional syphon hose, but make refilling a tank much easier than using a bucket. They work well for the smaller tank. If your tank is going to be 300+ gallons, consider incorporating a drain option in your build and/or plumbing the tank for easy water changes. Our 300 gallon tank is plumbed so that we open a valve to drain water and open and close other valves and water lines to add water to the tank.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
With the kitchen sink upstairs, and the tank down, you might have trouble with a Python, because gravity is used as part of the siphoning. Especially if you want to turn off the tap during siphon. The drain should be lower than the tank, siphoning uphill, doesn't work well.
If by downstairs, you mean basement, if there are laundry tubs, they could be used to drain into.
My preference in basements is to pump old water out to the yard.
I put permanent lines (Tee and valves) with PVC that runs to the yard.
I just open the valve to the outside, and instead of water from the sump, pumped to the tank, it is diverted outdoors to the garden.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
For a 280 in the basement, I recommend you use water barrels or a large water tote. You can find 55 gallon plastic food grade barrels on Craigslist for a really low price. I got mine for $10 each. If you want to go the tote route, you can find 275 or 330 gallon totes on Craigslist for about $70. I will be getting one of those towards the end of summer. Then, just use your hose to fill up the barrels/tote, have heaters in them to bring the water up to temp, use a large pump to pump water out of the tank, and then use the same large pump to pump water into the tank. Then you just refill and repeat. I use a Rio 20HF, connected to 50ft of 1" vinyl tubing, to pump water from my tank to the driveway, and then to pump water from my two 55 gallon barrels back into my tank. If just pumping water out and in without refilling my barrels, I can be done in less than a half hour.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Grinch

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2014
NJ
The python attached to a sink is a great option if you live in a rental and have a tank(s) in the 20-125g range. If you own your own home, there are better options.

Last edited:
Reactions: pacu mom
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store