Opinions/suggestions on water please

Dustin0413

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2016
I am in the process of cycling a new 125 gal tank and I'm still getting a slightly greyish/whitish hue or haze when viewing the tank from the end. It looks pretty clear from the front. It sort of looks like a bacterial bloom which did in fact happen a day or two after setting the tank up, but mostly went away in a day or so. I'm used to sparkling crystal clear "fish floating on air" clarity and I'm curious what the haze may be.

FYI I have four fish I rescued from horrid conditions in the tank atm.
1-5 in jack Dempsey,
3-small convicts.

Here are my current stats:

FILTRATION:

2- Rena/api filstar L canisters,
*both have the included course to fine foam in bottom, followed by ceramic bio media,'followed by fine filter pad and finally poly-fil in the top tray.
1- small whisper HOB filter with pot scrubbers that is suitable for a 30-60 gal tank. (I keep it there mainly for my quarantine/iso tank)

Advertised gph without media in the canisters is 350 a piece, so I should be at 700 advertised gph without the HOB filter.

WATER CONDITIONS:

Note: I use api master test kit with sterile technique to avoid false readings. My tap water reads zero ppm on everything except ph obviously.

image.png image.png image.png

I didn't do a water change until five days after I started the tank. After that I have done daily water changes (30-50%) with prime. I wait more than 24 hrs and test water again.

Tank pictures:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Sorry for the end of tank views, the JD wouldn't get out of the way lol. Any thoughts or suggestions Greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dustin0413

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2016
My nitrites are still sky high after peaking about 11 days ago. Once nitrites got above 2.0ppm I started daily water changes but it still hasnt brought nitrites down to safe levels. Do you think adding tetra safe start would be a good idea to jump start nitrite eating bacteria?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
My nitrites are still sky high after peaking about 11 days ago. Once nitrites got above 2.0ppm I started daily water changes but it still hasnt brought nitrites down to safe levels. Do you think adding tetra safe start would be a good idea to jump start nitrite eating bacteria?
I always use bottled bacteria.

Dustin0413

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2016
I'll get some tetra safe start to try. Hopefully it gets the nitrites down sooner than waiting and doing water changes everyday

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I'll get some tetra safe start to try. Hopefully it gets the nitrites down sooner than waiting and doing water changes everyday
I used a mixed of Seachem Stability and Stress Zyme and I got my 210 fully cycled in less than three weeks.

Reactions: Dustin0413

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Get bottled bacteria, and follow the instructions; it'll bring ammonia down to 1ppm (stress level, but not fatal), thus allowing the actual bacteria to establish in your filters

Dustin0413

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2016
Get bottled bacteria, and follow the instructions; it'll bring ammonia down to 1ppm (stress level, but not fatal), thus allowing the actual bacteria to establish in your filters
My ammonia spiked last week, but has been holding at zero for the last week. My nitrites have been high since then though. I guess I can do a couple of 50% water changes tonight, treat with prime, wait 24 hrs then dose with bacteria

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
My ammonia spiked last week, but has been holding at zero for the last week. My nitrites have been high since then though. I guess I can do a couple of 50% water changes tonight, treat with prime, wait 24 hrs then dose with bacteria
I also used this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DGKCC/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1463623007&sr=1&keywords=aquarium+bacteria
I didn't buy it again, as it didn't fit my budget. It is $35 per gallon which treats about 640 gallons. With it treating such little amount of water, which I didn't know at the begging, I can assume that it is made to very quickly cycle your tank, that is if it is as concentrated as I think it is, considering it has an earthy scent.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store