Opinions wanted!

Stevenm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2010
Boston
Hey guys, I have a 29 gallon and was thinking doing a wet pet. I was thinking of doing a male Convict or a pair of Cons. Then I had the idea of keeping a Short Body Flowerhorn, but am thinking the tank might be a little small. (What do you think) If not a SB Flowerhorn I was thinking either a Blood Parrot or a Kirin Parrot. I prefer Kirin over Blood, but was wondering if either choices are Wet Pet worthy. Do they have the personality and interaction I would be looking for? First time for hybrids so I’m not sure and if so, how are the Kirin Parrots compared to Bloods in size, I don’t mind pushing the limits as far as size as I will be filtering with an aqua clear 110 and plenty of water changes.

Thanks for the Help!

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Parrot fish won't have a personality of a flowerhorn. I am not a fan of short body flowerhorns anyway, they look cute when baby but as grown up they mostly look fat. Try to get a bigger tank in future and then get a long body flowerhorn (this is my opinion, if you like short body then get short body, getting short body fish because you have smaller tank is not a good reason). 29g is not enough for short body.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
Hey guys, I have a 29 gallon and was thinking doing a wet pet. I was thinking of doing a male Convict or a pair of Cons. Then I had the idea of keeping a Short Body Flowerhorn, but am thinking the tank might be a little small. (What do you think) If not a SB Flowerhorn I was thinking either a Blood Parrot or a Kirin Parrot. I prefer Kirin over Blood, but was wondering if either choices are Wet Pet worthy. Do they have the personality and interaction I would be looking for? First time for hybrids so I’m not sure and if so, how are the Kirin Parrots compared to Bloods in size, I don’t mind pushing the limits as far as size as I will be filtering with an aqua clear 110 and plenty of water changes.

Thanks for the Help!
Why a male convict? If you’re planning a single, go with a female. They’re the ones that get the nicer colors.

Stevenm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2010
Boston
Thanks for the reply, had a feeling a short body would be to big. I already hav a 180g, 2 120s an a 29g going already. My last of the tanks I have happens to be a 29g , so I wanted to try something different like a hybrid, that’s where the Kirin or Blood come in, I know they won’t have the personality of a Flowerhorn, but would they be a cool solo or kept in pairs option for that size tank. If not I will probably do Cons as all my other tanks are South American. Thanks for the help

Stevenm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2010
Boston
Male Convict because I like the look better, almost like I mini Midas with the big bulky body and a Nuchal hump. Females get the red in the belly but that’s pretty much it, males tend to be a little more outgoing and interactive in a wet pet scenario.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
Parrot fish won't have a personality of a flowerhorn. I am not a fan of short body flowerhorns anyway, they look cute when baby but as grown up they mostly look fat. Try to get a bigger tank in future and then get a long body flowerhorn (this is my opinion, if you like short body then get short body, getting short body fish because you have smaller tank is not a good reason). 29g is not enough for short body.
I beg too differ my blood parrot had far more character and personality than my flowerhorn. They can have just as much personality same goes for Kirin parrots.

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
You could get a Blood parrot Solo for the 29 but once they start approaching 6+ inches you will need to upgrade.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store