Orb question

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
I've had my LFS on the lookout for a ray for a while now. He messaged me today saying his supplier got in "Colombian Hystrix." I'm incredibly skeptical but told him to give them a try.

My question is if these show up and are actually orbs, how long does it take them to get bigger than 20" where they would outgrow my tank? Couple years maybe? I'm assuming they are going to come in around the 6" mark.

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
That's awesome. Looks like I'm in that exact same situation. I'm fairly positive he uses the same distributor too.

Did you have any issues with parasites or anything when you got him?
I see you fed him worms, are those the ones you get for fishing or are they different?

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
Surprisingly he came in super healthy and parasite free. I actually work in the store so I threw 6 ghost shrimp in the tank right when it was released from the shipping bag and they were gone in a half hour after being shipped across the country.

They're the same worms just chopped nightcrawlers and redworms was all he would eat at first then eventually krill now he destroys whatever hits the bottom. His staple is tilapia.

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
That's one thing I have to work out still is fhe feeding regimen. Have to do some more research.

I have always wanted to get redworms from the store for the fish, but have always worried they may have some sort of chemical in them or something.

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
I have always wanted to get redworms from the store for the fish, but have always worried they may have some sort of chemical in them or something.

They should be perfectly safe my worms always came from the lfs I work at but I know plenty of people that just get them from Wal-Mart. Just rinse them well and you should be good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store