Ordering New 440/480 any advice?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Did you end up going 440gallon? 8.5x turnover requires ~3800gph. If it were me I would at least go with the L2. You may want to get a rough idea of what your head pressure will be not just based on height, but horizontal, vertical and turns if you use PVC.

Keep in mind what I had mentioned prior about your weir teethe being a limiting factor to flow. I really dont know factually how much wave makers would increase turn over. It defintely would help circulation in your tank.
It’s a 600 so it’s called, (550g interior)?

8’x4’x30” -

He’s ordering the L2, he thinks I’m talking crazy asking for 2” drains and 10x turnover.
5’ of head pressure roughly.

I thought I’ve read others posts when they were tabulating turnover and adding their power heads into the equation... I was just curious, if it keeps the poo off the bottom in the sump that’s what I’m looking for!

Came back here to make sure I was asking for appropriate things.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
It’s a 600 so it’s called, (550g interior)?

8’x4’x30” -

He’s ordering the L2, he thinks I’m talking crazy asking for 2” drains and 10x turnover.
5’ of head pressure roughly.

I thought I’ve read others posts when they were tabulating turnover and adding their power heads into the equation... I was just curious, if it keeps the poo off the bottom in the sump that’s what I’m looking for!

Came back here to make sure I was asking for appropriate things.
Ah sorry, I missed the Dimensions then and 5000gph it is.

I think the powerheads would help at a minimum, improved circulation which is a good thing. Also based on placement the waste and detritus off the tank bottom.

Just curious how are you calculating head pressure and will you be using PVC? I understood to factor 90 turns as 1 foot and 10 horizontal as 1 foot. Just asking so that to help make sure you get the turnover you want.

Reactions: TheWolfman

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Ah sorry, I missed the Dimensions then and 5000gph it is.

I think the powerheads would help at a minimum, improved circulation which is a good thing. Also based on placement the waste and detritus off the tank bottom.

Just curious how are you calculating head pressure and will you be using PVC? I understood to factor 90 turns as 1 foot and 10 horizontal as 1 foot. Just asking so that to help make sure you get the turnover you want.
The builders doing 1.5”, told him 2” but got lots of pushback.. ( pvc id presume)

I’m not sure how many 90’s maybe 1-2 per drain going from central overflow box to sump underneath.

Another member found a graph and it seems I’ll get around 2500gph out of the 3200gph pumps after head pressure and restrictions.

I’d presume placing the mp40’s on the back wall of the tank pushing/pulling debri twords the central overflow is better than being placed on the ends pushing it in?

Thanks for all the advice!

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
You may know this but you need to account fir the return head pressure to the tank from your return.

If I understand your question I think it's generally best to point torwards the overflow, yes. I have a peninsula and chose not to do that to keep it clean and clear.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
This is pretty lame but I guess it’s something.....

Welded stand, not painted yet....

84BEB1BA-2931-4D74-BE87-4AE22077AFA2.png

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Why do you say that it's lame?
Ahh,
Just anxious for it to be done, feel like not much progress for 60 days..
Trying to remain patient...

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I see. That looks to be a solid stand, and, you're going to be glad you have it with all the weight from the tank. If they aren't providing, make sure you cut a plywood for the top and the foam ready. At this point I'm already sketching out the PVC plumbing in my head from tank to sump and returns LOL.

Reactions: dr exum

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I see. That looks to be a solid stand, and, you're going to be glad you have it with all the weight from the tank. If they aren't providing, make sure you cut a plywood for the top and the foam ready. At this point I'm already sketching out the PVC plumbing in my head from tank to sump and returns LOL.
You use foam under your acrylic tanks? Ive been told it wasn't necessary for acrylic, more common for glass tanks where the glass will actually contact the surface.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
You use foam under your acrylic tanks? Ive been told it wasn't necessary for acrylic, more common for glass tanks where the glass will actually contact the surface.
Yes, "rimless" glass tanks for sure (that's what I had previously). The builder for my acrylic (Midwest Customs) advised I needed to use (the pink) foam. I figured if the builder was telling me to do that, then I didn't want to question. I ended up using 1/2" R-Tech insulation foam and he said that should be fine. I find that 1/2" has enough flex and density.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store