Oscar behaviour/stocking?

BenPen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
MA, USA
Hello,
was hoping to get a discussion going on what people recommend for Oscar stocking and how it effects personality.
I'm looking in to setting up a 240g(96x24x25") in the near future and can't decide on how many Oscars I should get. I've had one in the past and he was the only thing living in the tank and he was the absolute coolest fish I've ever had(Sadly I no longer have him as there was a mishap with the lid). Do you find that if there's multiple Oscars in the tank or even other fish that you lose some of that personality and bond?

Also, what's considered a "safe" number to keep, assuming that the tank is large enough? Could three Oscars live together in a 240g assuming that they are purchased at the same time and no-one pairs up? Or even if they pair up would that be large enough to give the third enough room to escape any aggression? Would love to hear some thoughts on this as I'm pretty new to these guys and would love to learn more about their behaviour. This is all generally speaking, of course, as I get that mileage may vary as every fish is different.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/oscar-tank.705791/#post-7956808
Hello,
was hoping to get a discussion going on what people recommend for Oscar stocking and how it effects personality.
I'm looking in to setting up a 240g(96x24x25") in the near future and can't decide on how many Oscars I should get. I've had one in the past and he was the only thing living in the tank and he was the absolute coolest fish I've ever had(Sadly I no longer have him as there was a mishap with the lid). Do you find that if there's multiple Oscars in the tank or even other fish that you lose some of that personality and bond?

Also, what's considered a "safe" number to keep, assuming that the tank is large enough? Could three Oscars live together in a 240g assuming that they are purchased at the same time and no-one pairs up? Or even if they pair up would that be large enough to give the third enough room to escape any aggression? Would love to hear some thoughts on this as I'm pretty new to these guys and would love to learn more about their behaviour. This is all generally speaking, of course, as I get that mileage may vary as every fish is different.

Welcome aboard

I would suggest no more than a pair. Please read the link above.

Reactions: BenPen

BenPen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
MA, USA
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/oscar-tank.705791/#post-7956808

Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard

Thanks, when you say "pair" do you mean a breeding pair or simply any two Oscars? And I'd be curious as to the why if you'd oblige me.
I read the thread you linked to, but most of the posts pertained to whether or not a single Oscar could be kept in a 75/90 tank which is not what I'm asking.

BenPen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
MA, USA
I have kept an Oscar with other south American cichlids, and have found the Oscars are not really aggressive to tankmates. A 240 is a good size, I would do an Oscar and some severums as well.
Thanks for the info, I was thinking of maybe doing a Bichir. Never kept one, they seem really cool. Do you think a Severum would get along with an Oscar as well as a Bichir?

BenPen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
MA, USA
Also, any comments on how stocking effects personality when it comes to Oscars? I'd love to have a monster "community" but if that means not getting as much O time due to being more reclusive, aggressive, etc then I'd rethink my plans.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks, when you say "pair" do you mean a breeding pair or simply any two Oscars? And I'd be curious as to the why if you'd oblige me.
I read the thread you linked to, but most of the posts pertained to whether or not a single Oscar could be kept in a 75/90 tank which is not what I'm asking.

2 that paired off or 2 that are compatible. I would personally have one Oscar and add smaller species of South American fish not necessarily all Cichlids.

Reactions: BenPen

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Also, any comments on how stocking effects personality when it comes to Oscars? I'd love to have a monster "community" but if that means not getting as much O time due to being more reclusive, aggressive, etc then I'd rethink my plans.
Thanks for the info, I was thinking of maybe doing a Bichir. Never kept one, they seem really cool. Do you think a Severum would get along with an Oscar as well as a Bichir?
Bichirs seem to be good Oscar tankmates. I kept a senegalus with my Oscar for quite a while until it eventually choked on a pictus cat (lesson learned- even if it's almost as big as the bichir, they will eat anything elongated). I would say a large upper jaw bichir like a delhezi would be a good choice.
As far as the personality, If you keep the Oscar as a solo fish it will likely be more interactive with you, as there is nothing else to entertain it. My Oscar was still very interactive with tankmates however; they know who feeds them.

Reactions: BenPen and tlindsey

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I think a breeding pair of high quality wild Oscars with an l095 pleco, an ornate pim and 10 tiger dollars would be a great setup. I would consider a group of 4-5 uaru cichlids too personally.
I think the interaction wont change with tankmates imo as long as the Oscars are dominant which they would be in that stocking.
Buy 6-8 Oscars and grow them till a nice pair forms then find the others homes or drop em to a LFS.

Reactions: BenPen and tlindsey

BenPen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2018
MA, USA
Bichirs seem to be good Oscar tankmates. I kept a senegalus with my Oscar for quite a while until it eventually choked on a pictus cat (lesson learned- even if it's almost as big as the bichir, they will eat anything elongated). I would say a large upper jaw bichir like a delhezi would be a good choice.
As far as the personality, If you keep the Oscar as a solo fish it will likely be more interactive with you, as there is nothing else to entertain it. My Oscar was still very interactive with tankmates however; they know who feeds them.
Uh-oh, does that mean Bichirs don't make good tank mates to other Bichirs? I couldn't decide between the Ornate Bichir(Polypterus ornatipinnis) and the Delhezi(Polypterus Delhezi) so I was going to do one of each, d'you think that's asking for trouble? I've done some research and people seem to say that as long as they're more or less the same length when I get them that I should be okay, but I know the Ornate will eventually outgrow the Delhezi. Any chance the fact that they're both upper jaw species keep them from eating each other?
And thanks, that's good to know! It would be a "shame" to have a 240g tank with nothing but one Oscar in it!;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store