Oscar breeding

Hank82

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2019
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Has anyone ever kept oscars that have successfully mated? I’ve looked on the Internet to try to find information on breeding habits and videos. Have not been able to find anything that seems conclusive or helpful information. What will these fish to when breeding? I have two Oscars together right now and they seem to be over friendly.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
According to an article I read some time back:
In China they breed Oscars in large indoor ponds with several fish and partitioned off sections as "caves" where fish would pair up and lay eggs which were then removed and raised if I recall correctly. I guess with males and females present they will breed eventually :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Has anyone ever kept oscars that have successfully mated? I’ve looked on the Internet to try to find information on breeding habits and videos. Have not been able to find anything that seems conclusive or helpful information. What will these fish to when breeding? I have two Oscars together right now and they seem to be over friendly.

pops pops

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
i have had them lay quite q few times but never a viable clutch

Dome aquatics

Feeder Fish
Aug 26, 2019
I have a pair that laid their first clutch of eggs yesterday, eggs all look fertile. We will see in a couple days, then i will remove the fry and place them in grow out tanks

Zack cloutier

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2015
Massachusetts
Does anybody know if the male or female cleans off the flat surface to lay the eggs on? Reason I’m asking is my Oscar, within minutes of me placing a flattish stone in the tank has now avidly been scrapping his/her? Lower jaw all over this rock. It’s the only Oscar in the tank so just curious if I have a male or female. And should I keep an eye out for aggression towards tank mates with this new breeding behavior?

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
Does anybody know if the male or female cleans off the flat surface to lay the eggs on? Reason I’m asking is my Oscar, within minutes of me placing a flattish stone in the tank has now avidly been scrapping his/her? Lower jaw all over this rock. It’s the only Oscar in the tank so just curious if I have a male or female. And should I keep an eye out for aggression towards tank mates with this new breeding behavior?
Both will clean the slate.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Mine have had wigglers 2 times and soon to be 3 tomorrow hoping they do not eat them.
They will eat them once they start to become free swimming, especially if there’s other fish in the tank. The trick is to siphon the wiggles out into there own aquarium with a piece of air line tubing. Then you can raise the fry. Good luck.

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
They will eat them once they start to become free swimming, especially if there’s other fish in the tank. The trick is to siphon the wiggles out into there own aquarium with a piece of air line tubing. Then you can raise the fry. Good luck.
Depending on the fish mine would eat the fry once they were ready to spawn again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store