Oscar Care

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Well there's your problem. At their current size (I'm guessing no larger than 3-4" if they all even fit in a 6 gallon), they need to be in at least a 30 gallon tank (which will last about 3-4 months before a larger tank will be needed). Your final tank would have to be at least 125 gallons for 3 oscars (they grow to about 14" on average, although yours are probably stunted to some degree, depending on how long they have been in your tank). So unless you have the space/money to upgrade, you should probably take them back and get some more appropriate fish for that tank size (I guarantee you they'll all be dead in a a couple months if you keep them in that tank).

oscarkid99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2012
new york city
for your oscars provide small thin and high plants for them to make their own swimming patterns while young, and when larger with a very large tank put a cluster of plants/rocks in the corner in case one gets singled out

OscarMan0315

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
East Coast
for your oscars provide small thin and high plants for them to make their own swimming patterns while young, and when larger with a very large tank put a cluster of plants/rocks in the corner in case one gets singled out
Do the above once you get a bigger tank. Fake plants only as oscar will probably tear the real plants apart. Also provide caves and such for hiding.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Fresh water fish keeping is actually pretty damn easy. Do a little homework on the fish you want to keep and stay on the ball with tank husbandry. I mean really come on; all a responsible fish keeper has to do is read and follow some pretty simple directions. Put in a few hours of reading towards something that is going to be in your house for years.

After you know what fish you want, buy an appropriate sized aquarium and filtration system, cycle your tank and go from there.

For the Oscar's sake I hope that this is really just a joke/troll thread. If not, then I suggest taking the fish back to the store and putting your tank away until you feel like you are responsible enough to do a little homework.

This isn't rocket science.

darippa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2005
NYC
Pick up the book Oscars by TFH. Should be less than ten bucks but it's pretty good for anything you're asking. Should be able to find it in any LFS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store