Oscar Fish care(tank size), what do you say is ideal? (theoretical)

NotReallyCatfishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2018
Kansas
I'm not planning on keeping an oscar until I can afford a TON of filtration and a 125, but what do you say is best for oscar care?

on tank size I'd say 75 gallons with a filter (or two) rated for double that size, and the tank itself would be bare minimum. I've heard (and I believe) 125 is ideal for a lone oscar and maybe a big pleco(Not hypostomus), if filtration is insane. I would keep an oscar in a heated pond or something, but judging on how expensive filtration can be just to avoid from them getting HITH, I'll pass.

What do you think is an ideal environment for an oscar fish? I primarily focus on tank size and filtration, but you can mention any other thing (Params, tank mates, food, etc.)

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
While they are dirty fish, they’re not insanely messy. Just have a few clean up fish like Silver Dollars and a pleco to eat the leftovers and you’ll be good. The filtration doesn’t have to be insane either. Just keep up on water changes with correct filtration, don’t overfeed and good tank maintenance. Personally, a 75g is my minimum for 1 Oscar, a 125g for a pair. I have some in a 240g with a FX6 and an FX4 as filtration. They’re happy and healthy.

crayfishlobster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2017
Get a clown pleco. Oscars sometimes can live with with one other but u need 125 gal. A few plants would be good too.

NotReallyCatfishGuy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2018
Kansas
Get a clown pleco. Oscars sometimes can live with with one other but u need 125 gal. A few plants would be good too.
I'm not gonna be getting an oscar. plus, wouldn't a clown pleco get eaten by an oscar?

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Tank size:
While growing out if you are using smaller tanks try to bump up in size when fish is as long as 1/2 the width of tank.
Final tank size I would say a 6ft 125gal for a single. I suggest an 8x2x2 for a pair, so if you have to partition they still get 4ft each. Possibly smaller if you have a spare 125 to separate the fish instead of a divider.
Tank mates:
The key to this is staying ahead of the Oscars mouth size. Like all fish if it fits it will try to eat it. This can end up very bad if the O tries to eat catfish/plecos. They have barbs to prevent this that could kill the O and most times the catfish as well. My Oscar didn't much care for other Oscar's, but other cichlids she was ok with after a taste test bite.
Filtration:
Like jhook said the biggest part of this is water changes. On my tank I have an FX4 and two AC110'S. I have about 8x turnover an hour.
I can't stress it enought with Oscar's 90% of it is water changes. In the wild they get new water every few seconds. I do fin lvl water changes every other day.
Feeding:
Get it on a good pellet as soon as possible. You can give it treats from time to time like frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, live crickets, meal worms. Never feed them "feeder" fish. These farm raised fish tend to have diseases, worms etc that can be passed on to your O.

Reactions: jhook

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I loved reading the first 6 or 8 pages of that jexnell, I can't wait to read the rest of it tomorrow.

Reactions: Jexnell

Go_redfish

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2018
Jexnell Jexnell is my go to for oscar info, OP. Its worth checking out his thread. I've kept fish a long time but his info and the things I've found lurking on MFK greatly improved my methods of care for an unwanted oscar I acquired. I didn't want to get involved with the species or any other predatory fish before but the people here have helped me get past my insecurities with them. I can't give up my oscar now:)

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Big oscar or little one?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store