Oscar growth tips

Supalah17

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2014
Buffalo, New York
That tank is perfect for an Oscar. They don't grow to 18". Now a day if they did grow that size, there would be pics. It's a bit irritating this myth is still going around. It's seems to be perpetuated by people on forums who read or heard that somewhere, and keep repeating it. Most of these folks have never owned one themselves but hey will argue it till they are blue in the face. Lesser forums like "fishlore" seem to be the leader in this false information.

Regardless, its sounds like you have this figured out. Good food and clean water is all they need. Provide that, and you should have a nice 12" Oscar before you know it.
Wanted to add, Fishlore was one of the places I went to when I first got back into the hobby and that whole site is terrible. Honestly I wish it would get shut down, some of the information I got from them resulted in several dead fish until a friend told me about MFK... I distinctly remember being told that a blood parrot, a common pleco, and a jack Dempsey were a perfect set for a 35 gallon hex tank... the pleco is the only one that survived and got to a new tank.

Reactions: fishbum

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Wanted to add, Fishlore was one of the places I went to when I first got back into the hobby and that whole site is terrible. Honestly I wish it would get shut down, some of the information I got from them resulted in several dead fish until a friend told me about MFK... I distinctly remember being told that a blood parrot, a common pleco, and a jack Dempsey were a perfect set for a 35 gallon hex tank... the pleco is the only one that survived and got to a new tank.
In my experience the majority of what I saw on fishlore before I was permanently banned was the opposite. Overly cautious stocking and larger minimum tank sizes, higher temps, etc. But you get a lot of similar people in most forums, some are just more dominated by ignorant noobs than others.

And when you ask a question on any forum you've really got to compare all the answers to get an idea what the truth is. Not dig through 100 "Hell no!"'s and select the one that says a redtailed cat can live in a 10g tank because that's the answer you want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store