Oscar in a horse trough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raetak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Florida, USA
Yeah, the water feeds a garden. I was thinking a messy fish like a oscar would make me some nice fertilizer.

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
I'd try to catch some native fish for that purpose. Florida winters have been pretty harsh lately.

Also, the likelihood of your water having a neutral ph is very low. You will very likely be slowly poisoning any fish you put in there with zinc. Once the zinc corrodes off into the water, other metals will begin to leach. Oxidation is present when metals are in contact with moisture and oxygen, whether you see it or not.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I've never kept cichlids in them but we used to raise out comet goldfish in horse troughs all the time. We'd win them at the fair and throw them in, and a year later you'd have gigantic comets.

Raetak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Florida, USA
kevinfleming21;4918338; said:
How are you going to maintain a constant temp if outside?
The temperature never goes over 80 in the trough, I checked. :D

I'd try to catch some native fish for that purpose. Florida winters have been pretty harsh lately.

Also, the likelihood of your water having a neutral ph is very low. You will very likely be slowly poisoning any fish you put in there with zinc. Once the zinc corrodes off into the water, other metals will begin to leach. Oxidation is present when metals are in contact with moisture and oxygen, whether you see it or not.
Well the water isn't going to be just sitting in there 24/7, it has an auto water system, so I have to fill it up 20% more every day. So the water shouldn't have any build up of anything. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah native species probably would be better. I can put a heater in there though.

Raetak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Florida, USA
I couldn't figure out how to put another quote in my post so I put Piscine's post in blue. But like I said it doesn't go over 80 F.

Raetak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Florida, USA
I figured it out xD

Cichlidarowana

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
SoCal
Just Curious. Why would you want to keep any pet fish in a trough? Give it to someone who can provide him with a suitable home. Especially with some cloth over it? I can see keeping comets for food purposes but other than that?????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store