Oscar in a horse trough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
I gotta say... follow a forum or two long enough, and you find posts about topics you never even thought of! LOL...

Must be nice to live in the south and be able to keep cichlids of that nature outside!

-Rich

Raetak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Florida, USA
Cichlidarowana;4918674; said:
Just Curious. Why would you want to keep any pet fish in a trough? Give it to someone who can provide him with a suitable home. Especially with some cloth over it? I can see keeping comets for food purposes but other than that?????????????
Hardware cloth isn't a cloth it is a wire mesh. ...Google images...

Well, I've wanted an Oscar and I think that my 75 was too small. However I am just thinking that a trough is basically a pond.

I don't own one.

I'm not trying to cut corners here, I'm just wondering IF this could work. At least I'm not like half of the people who want to shove an oscar into a 55 gallon.

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
Sounds like you're pretty dead-set on putting an oscar in there. I just wanted you to have the facts beforehand.

Raetak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Florida, USA
Piscine;4918708; said:
Sounds like you're pretty dead-set on putting an oscar in there. I just wanted you to have the facts beforehand.
Nah, I'm just wondering. I have a lot of ideas. If I am emptying out 20% of the water every day will the zinc still build up and poison my fish?

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
I think people before people start flaming a guy, they should at least make sure they understand the thread. This guy does not yet have the oscar. He got an idea, like many of us do in this hobby, and as opposed to just jumping out there and acting on it, he came here, made a post, and asked for opinions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what this kind of forum is supposed to be for?

READ THE THREAD before commenting???

-Rich

Robbwilder

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
South Florida
Cichlidarowana;4918674; said:
Just Curious. Why would you want to keep any pet fish in a trough? Give it to someone who can provide him with a suitable home. Especially with some cloth over it? I can see keeping comets for food purposes but other than that?????????????
Then all those people with stock tank ponds are wasting there time too? this is a stock tank rubber or metal. They make great ponds inside and out and lets people keep some fish they would normally not. the 300 gallon one is popular especially with south american cichlid keepers. I have a 110 and a 150 on my patio. I have not filled the 150 but im going with africans with strawberry pots all in it. the 110 has a 2 inch id shark, 2 silver dollars from inside, and 2 small pink convicts. I am going to get two oscars. The Oscar will do a nose dive out of it jumping to catch the bugs. I have found this out the hard way. As for heating, a aquarium heater and a tarp will do WONDERS. Down in South FLA, we got into the 30's for three nigths in a row. kept the stock tank covered with a tarp and the heater running and everyone did FINE!

Raetak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
Florida, USA
Robbwilder;4918740; said:
Then all those people with stock tank ponds are wasting there time too? this is a stock tank rubber or metal. They make great ponds inside and out and lets people keep some fish they would normally not. the 300 gallon one is popular especially with south american cichlid keepers. I have a 110 and a 150 on my patio. I have not filled the 150 but im going with africans with strawberry pots all in it. the 110 has a 2 inch id shark, 2 silver dollars from inside, and 2 small pink convicts. I am going to get two oscars. The Oscar will do a nose dive out of it jumping to catch the bugs. I have found this out the hard way. As for heating, a aquarium heater and a tarp will do WONDERS. Down in South FLA, we got into the 30's for three nigths in a row. kept the stock tank covered with a tarp and the heater running and everyone did FINE!
Thanks for the tips. I've run out of room in my bedroom so I'm thinking this is gonna be my next project. Are yours plastic or metal?

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

Robbwilder

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
South Florida
Mine are plastic/rubber type. One is a rubbermaid 150. The other is another brand 110. I want the 300 gallon one. Or a 400 completely round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store