Oscar Jumping

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
So my Oscar keeps jumping and hurting himself at night, anyway to stop this or any suggestions on how to keep him from getting too hurt on the lids at night?

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
prolly an indication that's something's up with your water.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
Any other fish? mine was doing that but that was because my Texas was ambushing him at night.

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
Hes alone and waters just fine, he gets a 75%+ water change every week, hes about 6-7in in a 55gallon. He's just been a jumper since I first got him, he was jumping in the bag on the way home and since hes been with me, it's just as he grows he gets more power behind his jump. He used to jump and hit the lid and just make noise now he hits the lid and gets hurt, nothing major ever but I just don't like the fact that he keeps getting injured.

BigFishMommy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2009
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
give him something to distract him. my oscar has a floating orange plastic ball that he loves to chase around the tank - keeps him from wreaking havoc on the filter intakes, lol.

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
are there heaters in the tank? might be some stray voltage stressing him out

Zari

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2011
Aurora,Colorado
pretty sure his heaters fine, he doesn't jump a whole lot and I'd think he would if there was stray voltage. I may have to try and find a ping pong ball or something like it just to see what he does with it.

NormDawg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
Wisconsin
I use to hold these dried shrimp 3-5 inches or so above the water and my oscars would jump up get it and drop back in. Except for one time......He missed his landing in the tank and landed about 4 1/2 feet to the floor. I picked him up and didnt know what to do so i tossed him back in. With a little dog hair too.

i took a paper towel and fished most of it out of the water.

Is your water level a little low and he's jumping up and grabbing stuff from the lid?

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Describe what's going on in more detail... Is this when there's movement around the tank at night? Can you hear him hit the lid or just water splashing?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store