Oscar not growing?

Aaron619

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2021
Iv currently had my Oscar for about 2 months when I got him he was about 2.5 inches and now he’s barely touching 3 inches some of my family say he doesn’t even look any bigger, my question is why? I feed him bio gold pellets everyday, freeze dried krill some days and frozen brine shrimp every now and then I do a 50% water change every week nitrates never go above 5ppm maybe I just have a slow grower or should I be feeding more?

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
What size tank? That is rather slow for an Oscar. He may be a runt. My JD has taken a year and a half to be 4 inches.

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Do you know how old he is or what he was kept in before? I would suggest potentially stunted growth, but a stunted Oscar at only 3 inches long would almost certainly have died.

Reactions: Deadeye

Aaron619

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2021
Do you know how old he is or what he was kept in before? I would suggest potentially stunted growth, but a stunted Oscar at only 3 inches long would almost certainly have died.
Not sure on the age the guy said they had been in about a month all them being roughly the same size it was in my LFS so there was about 10 of them in a 15 gallon tank

AaronKWolfe

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2019
Ok. so it looks like your tank is of sufficient size and the oscar is receiving sufficient care. I don't think it has too much to do with the oscars slow growth, but what is your filtration and what are your water parameters? I'm just trying to get all the information I can, but I think as Deadeye suggested, you may just have a slow grower or one that is stunted.

Reactions: Deadeye

Aaron619

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2021
Ok. so it looks like your tank is of sufficient size and the oscar is receiving sufficient care. I don't think it has too much to do with the oscars slow growth, but what is your filtration and what are your water parameters? I'm just trying to get all the information I can, but I think as Deadeye suggested, you may just have a slow grower or one that is stunted.
Ammonia and Nitrate both 0 Nitrate 5ppm PH is 7.8 and temperature is kept at 26 degrees Celsius Ph does reach around 8 usually on the day of my water change and currently running the FX6

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store