Oscar tank mates

Matty6477

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
I have recently purchased a custom made 100 gallon tank with measurements of
48"L x 24"H x 20"D, and am still waiting on delivery so I haven't got any fish yet.
One fish I definitely will be getting is a Tiger Oscar.
I am looking to get some other cichlids to go alongside an Oscar, which of these would you recommend?

Convict Cichlid?, Firemouth Cichlid?, Severum?, Jack Dempsey?
If you don't recommend any of them, any other cichlids you would recommend alongside an Oscar?

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
I think life will be easier on all parties involved by leaving it at just the Oscar. If you get more tank mates your water quality will be affected and Oscars are prone to HITH. Oscars have so much personality you won't be bored with just one fish in the tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Jack Dempseys and severums go great with Oscars in my experience. Keep in mind that it isn't a huge tank for large cichlids, so the more you add, the more maintenance you are going to have to do. I think the Oscar with a Dempsey and severum would be fine as long as you are willing to keep up with the water changes. You could also switch out either of those two for the firemouth. I would probably avoid the convict.

Reactions: tlindsey

Matty6477

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
The tank maintenance won't be a problem at all. If I was to go for the firemouth with the Oscar, how many firemouth's would you recommend?

Also if I went for the Firemouth and Oscar, would it still be possible to add a JD or Severum? Or would you recommend leaving those out?

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Aren't firemouths best kept in schools? Seems like people always miss this fact.

Matty6477

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Which bichir would you recommend with an Oscar in a 100 gallon?

If I decided not to go for the Oscar in the end, I would still want a cichlid themed tank. What other sort of cichlids would work well in a 100 gallon?

Chrigu

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2016
Switzerland
I would recommend ornate bichir's (Polypterus ornatipinnis). But every bichir species except for the big ones are fine in your Tank. I really don't see the problem why you shouldn't keep thr Oscar with the bichir's or one other species of small cichlids. I don't know wich chiclids you like, so i can't really make suggestions. I know people who keep oscars with sone bigger african cichlids...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store