Oscar tank mates

mattison187

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2007
vermont
If convicts are in your stock list, go with a single male or a couple females. Adding a male and female, you will end up with a pair that will torment everything else in your tank.
Some other good options would be geos or maybe acaras

Reactions: Tomt37 and J. H.

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
Personally I think you have room for an oscar and 2 to 3 other cichlids a smaller convict and similar sized severum would do just fine .. when they're adult size if you feel it's over crowded upgrade or move on - 100 gallons is a nice size tank and oscars are very undemanding

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
Good water maintenance is more key when you stock closer to the limit

jhook

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2016
Bama
As said previously, and as was stated in a recent thread, I wouldn't get a male and female convict unless you are willing to deal with a LOT of convicts. They breed and then they multiply exponentially. The Oscar, depending on its temperament, may or may not eat the babies, but a breeding pair of convicts will constantly harass the Oscar. Firemouths work well with Oscars and are pretty cool when they flare up at each other. Just make sure that whatever fish you add with an Oscar, that they have hiding places that don't have sharp edges. If the O gets it in his head that he wants to go see them he WILL push his way into wherever the other fish are, possibly gashing himself in the process.

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
I'd have a few either fish too to distract attention - medium sized barbs etc

Matty6477

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
What dither fish would you recommend with an Oscar and a group of Firemouth Cichlids? I'm planning on getting some pieces of driftwood and making some caves so they all have their own territories/places to hide.

Tomt37

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2017
Depends on personal taste .. some good fish are Aurilius barbs, spanner barb, denisons barb larger rainbow fish, Congo tetra, buenos Aries tetras .. all these will be fine certainly for the first few years

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store