Osphronemus septemfasciatus : King of the Giant Gourami

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Thanks to Wes at Rare Fish, I have finally acquired one of my dream species.

Osphronemus septemfasciatus

There is little to no information in the US side of the internet concerning this fish and I am here to document my experiences. If any others purchased this fish on the recent wave that came in, I would love to hear your experiences.

This fish is currently housed with my very special Chitala lopis and I will post any further updates on this fish here.

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
going to attempt for better photos soon (the fish is quite shy), but I must say it is a very bold eater, already taking lettuce and fruits, something my O. goramy would not take until the 8 inch or so range.
As for temperament, I have yet to see any aggression between it and the other inhabitants, it has seemed to have almost buddied up with my pristolepis.

Reactions: kendragon

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
20664F3E-6FBB-49C2-8660-936D383438BA.jpeg
Being my second round at a giant, I’m taking a far different approach on the diet.

More plant matter, less protein. I’m under the impression that these fish often grow too fast in aquariums as they are fed primarily pelleted diet. Septemfasciatus is likely to be a slower growing Osphronemus as is, I am assuming it will grow at rates similar to exodon.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
Already subscribed! big Charlie is part of what inspired me to get my first golden giant gourami
View attachment 1494011

Awww awesome! funny with with Charlie is i raised him on pellets for his whole life because i didn't want him to get fussy. I had one growing up in the 90s that we used to feed everything to, plellets, lettuce, beef heart, worms you name it. problem is, he got fussy and would go on and off different foods. he became difficult to feed. So with charlie I wanted to keep things simple.

Fast forward to early this year (after over 4 years of eating pellets and sticks) he went off his dried food completely. He barely ate for two weeks. so i tried him on veges and he went apeshit lol loved all of them. so by trying to prevent him from getting fussy, he got fussy anyway lol I'm now trying to introduce protein back into his diet (in the form of shrimps) but he wont eat them yet. go figure

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Awww awesome! funny with with Charlie is i raised him on pellets for his whole life because i didn't want him to get fussy. I had one growing up in the 90s that we used to feed everything to, plellets, lettuce, beef heart, worms you name it. problem is, he got fussy and would go on and off different foods. he became difficult to feed. So with charlie I wanted to keep things simple.

Fast forward to early this year (after over 4 years of eating pellets and sticks) he went off his dried food completely. He barely ate for two weeks. so i tried him on veges and he went apeshit lol loved all of them. so by trying to prevent him from getting fussy, he got fussy anyway lol I'm now trying to introduce protein back into his diet (in the form of shrimps) but he wont eat them yet. go figure
Funny to see they can get fussy about their food. My larger one seems to eat just about anything Haha

• Love
Reactions: 12 Volt Man
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store