Osphronemus septemfasciatus : King of the Giant Gourami

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
This fish is growing well but seemingly slower than O. goramy. We are sitting at 2-2.5 inches of growth in 4 months.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Very cool and interesting fish. Until this past year or so, I didn't even realize there were Osphronemus species aside from goramy.

My old Osphronemus was also a garbage disposal, and I consciously tried to bulk up his diet with more vegetable protein and less animal. He never became fussy...about anything...and I think that is partially because I applied the same psychology to his feeding that my parents applied to my diet when I was a child. At every meal, without fail, I was always offered two choices: take it or leave it. :)

I think the slower growth, as long as it isn't carried to extremes, is likely a good thing rather than a bad. I'll bet if you overdo the animal protein...as I am certain I did when my O. was young...it would elicit faster-than-ideal growth.

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I am hoping I can hold onto this fish as long as possible. Being my second Osphronemus grow out, I am trying to do things a bit different. My eventual goal is to raise all species in the genus.

O. septemfasciatus has so much potential with the adults being gorgeous.
oseptemmale.jpg
this is the photo Wes shared when offering the fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store