Our brown bullheads, northern and southern

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Flashback from 2010-2011. Our first rescue southern brown bullhead, 14", in 4000 gal basement pond, 40'x6'x3', sorry about bad lighting. Of course, it couldn't last in there with all those large predatory tank mates, so we took it out in a few days.

group 4 (2).JPGgroup 5 (2).JPGgroup 7.JPGgroup 10.JPGgroup 11.JPGMr Marbles 1.JPG

Back to 2018. Thought I'd start a thread on our brown bullheads.

Got four - a pair of southern variant and a pair of northern variant - at tiny 1"-2". The southerns I got from Gunpowderaquatics end of 2015 and northerns I've got from a private breeder from Rochester, NY in Feb 2016, IIRC via Ebay.

Easy and undemanding fish to keep. Currently all are around 10". The northerns were growing faster up to 6"-8" than the southerns but then stopped and now it's a wash. This short video features the southern guy(s):

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
what are those 2 spiny eels in the tank?
There are 2 or 3 TT eels and 3 or 4 black spot eels. They have their own thread, I think. If not, they will get one very soon.

Reactions: moe214

Man vs fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2017
Would you say they are fun fish to keep? After seeing this, it has me wanting(thinking) about going out to the lake to catch some brown bullhead or waiting till spring to find hatchlings

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Would you say they are fun fish to keep? After seeing this, it has me wanting(thinking) about going out to the lake to catch some brown bullhead or waiting till spring to find hatchlings
IMO, catching your own fish to keep and learn about is fun in and of itself (while obeying local laws).

As for fun, that varies for different people. That's why some people get tortoises for pets while others get fennec foxes... I think bullheads are characters. It's not some kind of non-stop action but they are quirky and interactive among themselves and their tank mates. On average, they are of course rather sedentary but everyone's tank differs. joel joel kept 60-70 bullheads in an inflatable or some such pool. I am sure his experience differs from mine.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
IMO, catching your own fish to keep and learn about is fun in and of itself (while obeying local laws).

As for fun, that varies for different people. That's why some people get tortoises for pets while others get fennec foxes... I think bullheads are characters. It's not some kind of non-stop action but they are quirky and interactive among themselves and their tank mates.

Agree with both statements. Catching your own fish to keep is one of the coolest sides of the hobby!

As for bullheads, they aren't "pretty" by most peoples' standards and they, like Victor said, are very calm, sedentary fish. However, they are pretty personable and just cool to watch, gotta love a fish with a big appetite, too.

I don't see mine all too often, but when I do I'm always happy to see it just hoover up the food and then scuffle away in search of a new food source!
Speaking of, I should get new pictures of it.

Reactions: Man vs fish

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
I’ve always liked bullheads. IMO there is nothing more fun to watch then a bunch of bullheads In a feeding frenzy. Like most cats they lay around until lights out. And I personally like dark ugly fish. I plan on collecting some when they are back in season. Kinda wish I kept the ones I had.

Man vs fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2017
What kind of growth rates do you see on these? Say starting with a 1" youngin, how long would it take to be a 10-12" adult(on average)? Im liking this idea now. Y'all seem to be pretty intrigued by these fish

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
...IMO there is nothing more fun to watch then a bunch of bullheads In a feeding frenzy...
I've never experienced it in my tanks because I've never had enough to create even a micro-frenzy but I am sure it is as much fun as Joel says. Especially if one uses floating pellets or some such. They sure do feed enthusiastically when comfortable and stress-free.

What kind of growth rates do you see on these? Say starting with a 1" youngin, how long would it take to be a 10-12" adult(on average)? Im liking this idea now. Y'all seem to be pretty intrigued by these fish
About 2-3 years in my hands. YMMV. Remember, the champion / max reported sizes:

-- black -------------------------------- aka Ictalurus melas ~~~27"
-- North American white catfish - aka I. catus ~~~~~~~~~27"
-- brown ------------------------------- aka I. nebulosus ~~~~~~23"
-- yellow ------------------------------- aka I. natalis ~~~~~~~~~19"
-- snail (I think aka spotted) ------ aka I. brunneus ~~~~~~~15"
-- flat or flathead -------------------- aka I. platycephalus ~~~~13"

Reactions: justarn and joel
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store