Our Friend Viktor (thebiggerthebetter)

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Are you expecting more damage coming your way? I've not read up on the situation much. Happy to hear that you didn't lose much in the way of stock.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Are you expecting more damage coming your way? I've not read up on the situation much. Happy to hear that you didn't lose much in the way of stock.
If you are asking right now, then no - Jose turned northward along the Atlantic coast and stayed over water, 200 mi off shore. Maria has battered Caribbean islands pretty good and also turned north into the Atlantic ocean.

If you are asking in general, then sure. It's not a question of if but when the next big one will come. Gotta build everything keeping this in mind and be prepared as finances and circumstances permit.

Rpul

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2016
Thank you all, guys! Especially Kirk Yellowcat. I really didn't expect nor deserve so much loving, haha... But your support means a whole lot to me.

I apologize for keeping you in suspense.

Thanks to Justin for posting my video. Some wordage:

The front wall of the eye of Category 3 hurricane Irma hit us front and square Sept 10, 2017 around 2 pm. Around 4 pm it got all quiet - the 20-mile wide eye center was traveling over Naples for an hour. Then the weaker back wall continued the battering.

Sustained winds of ~120 miles per hour (~190 km/h) with gusts up to ~140 miles per hour (~225 km/h).

We are ok, most fish are ok. Had 2-3 losses so far. Lots and lots of property damage but structurally everything held up.

I'm narrating the video but if it's hard to hear me over our obnoxiously loud but life-saving generator, I apologize.

All in all, we had been 9 days without power. Just my 7000 running-watts generator. Had to fill it every 7 hours with 5 gal of gasoline. Used ~$50 of gasoline a day at $2.70 a gallon. The first 5 days had to spend ~2 hours in gas lines. Then it got much better.

The generator ran

-- ten 360 watt 5000 GPH pumps
-- one 150 watt 3000 GPH pump
-- fridge and two freezers
-- several lights, laptops
-- a fan (to fall asleep in a 95 F, 75% humidity house)

Not enough power to run the well, RO filters, etc, or supply house with water. So I've just bought another generator, this one rated at 12,000 running watts.

A lot of work ahead. That will delay our opening by a few months for sure, if not half a year.

Thanks, bro, yet I don't view it as shame. There is a price to pay for everything. IMHO, we have no privilege to cherry pick and welcome only fortunes and groan over misfortunes of any place where we chose to live. We knew it going in and moving to FL that statistically, once in 10 years we'd get a big one, as well as have close calls and far calls with other hurricanes. It's never been a question of if but of when.

But I understand what you're saying, the emotion of it, I guess... although I aim and try not to think like that.
You sound like your taking it well and are looking in the brighter side. Best way to be.

I wish you all the best in rebuilding and getting everything back up and running as it was victor.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store